Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked on the Chevrolet website this morning- new Captiva is now on sale. Shocked at prices- the new list price LT 7 seat come in at nearly £3k more than the old oneat nearly £28k !
This is significantly more expensive than some of its rivals (eg. Santa Fe and some 7 seat Kia sorento models). Wonder how long it will be before Chevrolet delears start of offer heavy discounts ? (pretty soon I think)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gal10 said:
Do you know the list prices for the full range of new Captiva's?

Hi - I'm replying here to your earlier post enquiring about depreciation, because it's as well to bear the depreciation in mind when considering the list prices.

Simply put - the price will fall faster than two heavy rocks placed inside an iron container!

How bad? - well, we bought our 58 plate Captiva in late 2008, 7 seat LT manual, with a list price of around £23,000.

The car came with a service package, has been lovingly looked after (no chips, dents, scrapes, or other nasties) and has one or two worthwhile extras like a towing kit and some nice steps (not the Chevrolet bars) and the balance of the warranty.

Price offered as a part-ex against an Orlando earlier this month?......£9,000! (thank you Charles Warner)

Took it to a VW dealer and got nearly £2,000 more.

That sort of depreciation makes the list prices a joke.

As it happens, we bought our Captiva when the car industry was on its knees, and before the scrappage scheme saved their bacon. Hence we paid just over £16,000 for an 09 spec model.

This has made our loss bearable - but if we had coughed up anything like list price we would have lost a small fortune - about 60 percent based on the Chevrolet dealer's offer.

This applies to other cars, of course - but the depreciation on the Captiva seems particularly steep to me.

So, when I see a list price of around £32,000 for the new LTZ, I scratch my head and wonder what people are going to get for them in a couple of years.

Edited by: Captivabits

·
Registered
18 Posts
I realise the biggest fall in price is in the 1st few years of a car's life - this isnt just a Chevrolet thing! and for that reason I would NEVER buy a brand new car. I always look for ex-demo, 'almost new' cars when buying.

I guess you make or loose money depending upon the price you buy the car for.. get yourself a good deal when buying and you'll be protected somewhat from depreciation.

My 2010 LT cost just shy of £15k with 3000miles and I see older LS models for £16~£17k.. so I hope that when I come to sell, that mygood purchase price flattens out the depreciation. I think I could probably sell privately now and make a profit. Any offers? ;-)

I also question just who is paying these crazy list prices? perhaps they only exist to help dealers make you feel you've got a bargain when you get a nearly new car for 40~50% less than the full list price... who knows.

Edited by: Gal10

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gal10 said:
I guess you make or loose money depending upon the price you buy the car for.. get yourself a good deal when buying and you'll be protected somewhat from depreciation.

My 2010 LT cost just shy of £15k with 3000miles and I see older LS models for £16~£17k.. so I hope that when I come to sell, that mygood purchase price flattens out the depreciation. I think I could probably sell privately now and make a profit. Any offers? ;-)

I also question just who is paying these crazy list prices? perhaps they only exist to help dealers make you feel you've got a bargain when you get a nearly new car for 40~50% less than the full list price... who knows.

My bad - I didn't realise you'd already bought a car. Well done on that deal, btw.

I think we only got ours for 16K because the motor trade was in meltdown at the time - and I think the dealer was wondering whether he'd be in business next month.

The deal had to be done on the last day of September to qualify for a Chevrolet quarter bonus figure - which helped to concentrate minds on a realistic price. I know ours arrived on the transpoter at about 3.30pm, and was pdi'd and ready to go by 5.30 pm. It had to be registered that day, or bonuses would have been lost.

The end of any given financial quarter is usually a good time to buy a car.

Enjoy you car - what you need now is anice set of genuine Captiva sunshades - which, as it happens, I happen to have for sale.........

·
Registered
153 Posts
Buy pre-registered, you get a new car without Tom Dick and Harry battering the living daylights out of it on a "test" drive. The price you pay might be slightly higher, however you will be driving a "new" car. The price for pre-registered 2011 LS is under £15000 in Scotland, my LTZ was under £22000.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I paid 21kfor my new LTZ and that was including 1 year tax. So I think I've offset a big amount of depreciation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can get just a good of a deal from a keen dealership brand new in your colour choice/spec if its in a marketing quarter. Pre Reg is a target thing so are priced cheap to sell but find a dealer thats chasing target and you'll be surprised what they can offer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh, pre-registered is good- I got a 7 seat LT AWD for £16,999 at theend of last year. List price is over £25,000. I reckon Chevrolet dealers will offer big discounts and other incentives on the new Captivas, so the actual price paid will be much reduced. However, the list price in itself may put people off even considering the Captiva (it would me !) so the dealers may have some hard work ahead of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts