Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all been a while.
I need a new clutch and my mechanic is struggling to find a replacement.is this common as I thought the engine was based on a vauxhall. I've looked in several motor factors and everyone I've looked at has them in stock. So a bit unsure what the problem is. I will say that I trust my mechanic as he is just about family. Thank in advance.

·
Super Moderator
7,219 Posts
I, like you, thought this should be straight forward and having been on several web sites they are readily available but there are tremendous variations in price !!
There are several technical points to be checked and this typical link mentions them.

If as you indicate that your mechanic is trustworthy like family then be honest with him and ask what his concern / hesitancy is?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Probably knows that it will need a DMF and release bearing as well which will at least double the price. Add on a full days labour too and it is easy £1000+ job. Sadly our cars are mostly on the cusp of being uneconomical to repair for even fairly minor things.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Tbh I've been very lucky with the car so far. Not cost me a penny in nearly 2 yrs so I don't mind paying the price only because clutches wear and that's just motoring. Down side is clutch is OK but we noticed a vibration. At tick over when it was having a service and he thinks it's the clutch but also said if it wasn't he wouldn't charge me. That's how nice he is. Oh by the way full filters and oils Inc fluids. 95 quid all in. I thought that was a bargain

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys hope your all well. My mechanic has got my clutch but he said there is a tool that he needs to fit it can you shed some light on it pls

·
Registered
857 Posts
If he’s just going to change the clutch friction plate and cover he’ll need a tool to check the internal springs and bearings of the dual mass flywheel but if he’s changing everything that’s not necessary.

Otherwise the only special tool I can think of is a dummy shaft to align and centralise the splined boss on the friction plate so that it mates up with the gearbox primary shaft when it’s all reassembled.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he’s just going to change the clutch friction plate and cover he’ll need a tool to check the internal springs and bearings of the dual mass flywheel but if he’s changing everything that’s not necessary.

Otherwise the only special tool I can think of is a dummy shaft to align and centralise the splined boss on the friction plate so that it mates up with the gearbox primary shaft when it’s all reassembled.
Ok thanks I think he's changing just the clutch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts