Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi thought I would ask from some help/advice from you all. Bought a 07 Captiva LT in October 2011. Had the lights on dash board faults and after several visits got a new exceleration pedal which cured this fault, then took it into garage for service in June and they broke the sump plug so had to get that fixed, off the road for another week and now it broke down last wednesday, engine was making a rattle noise and no power. The garage eventually got round to looking at it yesterday and have called to say that the engine is done, something has went wrong with the crank shaft and I will need a new engine!!! The car has only done 68000 miles, i bought it from arnold clark and they are a chevrolet dealer. A new engine would cost £8000 and they couldn't source a recon one. I had bought the Arnold Clark autocare cover which is rubbish, they will cover to fix the engine if repairable but only up to £2000. But to find out if it is fixable they need to strip the engine down and I am liable for cost of this if they can't fix it. Needless to say I have told them to go ahead and strip it and am waiting on them calling me back with my fingers and everything else crossed. I can't believe that this could happen to such a young car, has anybody else had this problem. I am now without a car and can't afford to buy another. Thanks for reading and any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It's a long shot, but i woulod contact your local trading standards- sometimes although there is no means of leagl redress, the pressure from these bodies can create a thaw in the dealer's attitude. Out of interest, how many miles did the car have on it when purchased and have you serviced it to the manufacturer's spec? If you look on ebay, there is a company that advertises recon engines for the vauxhall antara for about £2k- the antara is the same car in a slightly different body with the same mechanicals. Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying, the car had 57000 when bought and had been serviced previously. We have found other places that can supply reconditioned engines so at least this is an option although an expensive one!! Once the garage come back to me with the exact fault with the engine i will contact trading standards and see where I stand.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
<t></t><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1" ="post_list"="" id="m1065195" style="border-collapse: collapse; color: rgb67, 67, 67; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular; font-size: 12px; line-height: 15px; text-align: left; "><t><tr ="rower"="" style="font-weight: bold; : rgb230, 230, 230; "><td style="border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb67, 67, 67; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb67, 67, 67; padding: 5px; "><div ="post_date"="" style="font-weight: normal; : right; ">Thu 27 Sep 2012 06:45
</td></tr><tr><td ="post_message_alt"="" style="padding: 4px 4px 0px; ">www.findanengineuk.com/toyota?gclid=CIisyNaG1bICFYw</td></tr></t></table>

Edited by: cruzetype

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you know if the cam belt was ever changed on the car? If it is the same as the Antara with the same engine, it should be changedat 60,000 miles or 5 years. If the belt snaps, it would likely result in the symptoms you discribe.

Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
£8000 for a new engine

Ijust purchased a Captiva57 plate 2.0DLT done 50k milesfor £7000 (engine included!!)

Good luck to you and hope you can find a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just heard back from garage, bearings collapsed causing movement on crank shaft so good news is repairable but also damaged clutch so this needs replaced aswell, total bill will be £2974 and warranty will cover £2000 so just need to find the balance!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
As we say, Bad, but not as bad as it could be.With all the problems there seem to be with DPF equipped vehicles, and this instance i am sure would be down to faulty regens, I would not be inclined to buy a used diesel. Our local chevrolet dealer has said they would trade out any diesel px's that were not sold and serviced by them, but it seems as if it is a widespread problem, due to people not being properly informed at purchase. some poor sot with a jaguar xf has found to his cost as well....

Good luck with the repairs. you can find a clutch on e-bay as well as dual mass flywheel, there is a link in one of the captiva posts if you look.

Edited by: cruzetype

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your comments, car still off road in garage in bits. waiting on parts coming from factory, told me that because coming from abroad big delay and will be another week at least before they start rebuilding and only 75% sure will work. Does anybody have any email addresses I could complain to at Chevrolet or Arnold Clark thanks :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you go to www.chevrolet.co.uk you will find a contact us form, fill it in, give all the information you can, chassis number, service history etc, but i doubt you will have much joy, the car is 5 years old, and sadly there is nothing you can do to check previous owners problems. Fix it and flog it are the words that come to mind, One of the reasons i got rid of mine, the 6 extra oil changes @ £100+ each time on top of the expensive main dealer servicing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I sit and I read and I worry..... I dont understand much, but end up waiting for things to go wrong!
We have had our 57plate 2ltr LTX auto diesel from new. Other than a very expensive job on a new turbo, fingers crossed nothing else.
DPF keeps being mentioned but i dont know what it is. We have always used ours for towing and so long journeys always done , however now our caravan is on a seasonal pitch for the past year the car has mainly been used for my short school runs. (we use the small carfor journeys to the van as its cheaper).

Due to this can i be harming the car? what advice can you give me as we cant afford to change or have expensive repairs. Does someone check the bearings on a service ...a new engine needed would finish the car off as def couldnt scrape that kind of money together...Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
First of all, sorry if you are a bit confused, but Here Goes!

The dpf (diesel particulate filter) removes soot from the exhaust gases and collects it in a device which uses extra heat to burn it off occasionally. On a chevrolet diesel this happens by adding extra fuel to the system when requested to perform a regeneration. If the regeneration is interrupted, (short runs) fuel can be dumped past the piston rings into the sump where it dilutes the oil, consequently bearing failure due to lack of lubrication, or the vehicle can start using the contents of the sump to run, (others give views on this too elsewhere in the forum)

But all is not lost. To protect yourself, do your servicing at the correct intervals, (and national tyres will do an intermediate oil change for you for about £60 if you get the "change oil now light".) More than this change your habits a bit, nice weather, walk, when you go shopping at the weekend, do it as part of a day out and give the car a nice long run with higher engine revs, (lower gear) for a bit. Some people on the forum have removed the dpf and reprogrammed the ecu, not too expensive, you will find the posts with a bit of looking.
Finally, it is not automatically going to happen to everyone, look after the oil and modify your driving a bit and you should be ok.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Its not really about long run or short run. While it's a good analogy I guess, it's a bit misleading. Its really about the engine getting up to its normal operating temperature for long enough to complete the DPF regen cycle. If you use your car for a normal mix of long and short journeys there really shouldn't be that much of an issue. If you are doing constant short journeys, muy advise would be to ensure you do one decent journey per week, for 30 min or so down a motorway or other faster roadif possible, at or around the speed limit. That way you'll clear out the DPF without the engine management system needing to add more fuel. It only adds more fuel and forces a regen if the engine hasn't been hot enough to do it for you. In normal long runs the DPF regens when it's hot enough.
If your considering removing the DPF for piece of mind, it costs about £350 including fitting the replacement pipe and the engine remapping. If you are concerned at all, while it's not an inconsequential amount of money, it's much less than a new or even second hand engine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What a ridiculous situation to have cars built in 2012 with a precursor - "if you get an orange squiggly light come up on the dashboard you have to drive your car to the nearest dual carriageway, and drive for 10 or 20 miles at 19mpg until you get a horrid burning smell in your nostrils and then the light goes out. Brilliant and so 21st century!
Chuck the **** dpf in the bin, go and designsomethingthatdoesn't clog up so easily or can be declogged without the nonsense of the above, before you put the thing back in the exhaust again. The environmental improvements coming out of having this device must be so negligible is it really worth it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
jonnybgood said:
What a ridiculous situation to have cars built in 2012 with a precursor - "if you get an orange squiggly light come up on the dashboard you have to drive your car to the nearest dual carriageway, and drive for 10 or 20 miles at 19mpg until you get a horrid burning smell in your nostrils and then the light goes out. Brilliant and so 21st century!
Chuck the **** dpf in the bin, go and designsomethingthatdoesn't clog up so easily or can be declogged without the nonsense of the above, before you put the thing back in the exhaust again. The environmental improvements coming out of having this device must be so negligible is it really worth it.
I don't think its about environmental improvement either, it's about getting the emissions figures low for the tax man, nothing more, nothing less. That said, if you push mine hard without the DPF in place, it's like the Bizzmark laying smoke!

·
Registered
476 Posts
When I first had my DPF removed It put out too much smoke they ended up putting the ECU back to standard because it had been remapped before, they then blanked of the EGR valve and remapped to suit. now goes like a rocket, slight wisp of black when you floor it but still not enough to be visible from the drivers seat looking in the mirrors. MPG improved especially when towing, but the computer which used to be quite accurate now exaggerates the economy and does not stand up to the brim to brim figures. [nice feeling when cruising on the motorway it says nearly 40 to the gallon for an auto, try to put it out of my mind its bo----ks]

·
Registered
997 Posts
As bidderman says, interesting stuff Al. I'm waiting on my tuning guy coming back to me so I think I'll look into that as the smoke is pretty chronic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts