Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have just bought an Orlando LTS 2ltr Auto.UnfortunatelyI have a few things go wrong but the biggestsurprise is the fuelconsumption.Around town I am getting about 24 (on the computer and filling it up to thebrim). On a run about 34. I have just come back from Cornwall towing a caravan and a verydisappointing22 m.p.g.I see on here that this seems to be the norm. I am going to go back to the dealers to see what they say.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Dee Dee,Welcome to the forum. I have an Orlando LTZ auto and I also tow a caravan.
Towing the caravan earlier this year I only managed to get 24, but that was before I had run it in properly.
I live in Spain and a recent run to the UK and back solo I got on the way there about 42 using only side roads, from dover to the midlands keeping it at about 65 in 6th the gauge crept up to 53.
Going home and trying to do it in one and giving it some wellie at 80 I got 42.
What I am trying to say is get it run in a bit I have done now 9 thousand miles and it will get better. I admit I do like to keep the revs at about 12,00 and get into 6th but fifth I find just as economical.
I am going away in my caravan in a couple of weeks long journey and I will see if the consumption has improved since I used it last.
It is a nice car and comfortable, I have never brimmed it but just use the gauge so I have no idea if that is accurate or not but it suits me
As you get more or less the same as me towing I have no idea why solo it should be different, I would be interested in what the garage says
Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi bopeep.I would be very happy with those figures but I have had problems from the first day I took it out of the garage. Within about 10 miles the engine management light came on and it went in to safety mode (It would not go over 20 mph). Took it back the following day had it back and it happened again the same day. Apparently there is a Diesel Partical Filter and it clogs but it "should" clean itself but in the meantime it then uses more fuel. After about a week with it in the garage I had it back and all was well until I then went to Cornwall and it drank more than me.
It is going back in the garage soon and we will see what they do or say, never mind "HAPPY DAYS".
Thanks for the reply, it is nice to hear other people's thought's.
dee dee,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by: dee dee

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Dee dee,I have to admit to only doing long runs for the first few days of ownership, then a week of just town work then down to spain towing. Here in Spain I have two cars so only use the orlando now and again.
Never had any lights come on at all, but I do read of the captive owners getting them.
Not being mechanical at all but it does seem you have a problem. I did have a problem with the factory fitted tow bar and got no satisfaction at all, but after months of bombarding all and sundry on a daily basis I managed to sort it out, so keep at em get on to everybody and do not take no for an answer.
I bought a fiat a 100,000 later with no probs I still just jump in and go, you have a modern car with a 5 year warranty. if you need the top man at chevy I have his email somewhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bopeep.Irememberreading about your problem with the towbar. I fitted my tow bar myself, it is a witter flange type bar and it measures 490mm to the top of the ball. When the van is on it is perfectly level.
Your's if I remember was 520mm, that is a lot at the back end of the van............

Edited by: dee dee

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes witter make the right tow-ball, I had a westfalia fitted, they had a problem getting the rear bumper off and then it never went back on correctly, I was still finding things that needed clipping back in for months, they also cut a great chunk out of the bumper, which is correct according to the instructions, but it has weakened it somewhat.Did you have to cut anything?
As a tow car it is great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi bopeep.I was going to buy the westfalia as they were the only one's that made the bar for the Orlando, but when I went to order the bar from a company in Nottingham they then said that witter was now making the flange type and it was cheaper (I wanted the flange type as you can fit a bumperguard to it).
I had a bit of a problem to get the bumper off but it was just not knowing where to find the screws in the wheel arch. It did say that you had to make a small cut to the bumper on the instructions but when I went to replace the bumper if fitted with out having to cut it. And yes it does tow well, any hill it just flies up them,,,,,,,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts