Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy i am Dejan from Croatia and i am proud owner of Chevrolet Captiva Series 2 ,2.2 diesel 135 kw of power automatic 2012 model. I am second owner . I own that car for about two months from now and car now got 105 000 kilometars. I really love this car and want it for long time even took a loan from the bank to buy this car. The car is for me and my wife perfect and got got everything i wanted. On 103 000 kilometars i change the oil an oil filter and it is easy to change but i notice that is overfill . It has 6.2 liter insted of 5.4-5.5 liters now it is on max on dipstic. I notice when i was driving on low rpm when i floor it on uphill then i got rear vibration and rear end of car is shaking end not always when i braking and car go automatic dowshift rear end of car is vibrating. So i change rear diff oil then. It look like not to much black and from i was looking on drain plug it got some like graphite grease but no metal parts on plug. I put new oil 75w-90 hypoid oil and vibrations it not gone. So i belive it must be cardan joints,central bearing i think. Second i notice when i drive car it change for example from second to third and in third it is around 2100 rpm when i put gas to go little faster like 10 km/h then rpm jump to 2500 and stay like that for short period as long as the speed and revs do not match to revs go more parallel with speed increase. When i move my foot from gas pedal rpm drop to 2100 and again i want to add little more speed or maintaine the speed rpm go to 2500. Same story go to when driving uphill when it want to change from second to third . Between change rpm go higer for a few seconds then feel like grabing third gear and drop around 2100 rpm.It is that normal ? Previous owner told me and show me the bill that on 90 000 kilometars he change the automatic transmison fluid. When i look the fluid i think that is change but it was so black and smelling like burning oil.So i order dexron VI 8 liter of oil. When i drain the oil from drain plug it came out 7 liters it was overfill because when i want putt that much inside again it want go inside and oil level plug spit half out when the engine is running and transmision it is on right temperature. So i used all 8 liters of oil to circulate through gearboh and extra oil in gearbox put out thru oil drain plug and still oil in gearbox is black with little read inside of new oil. So i hawe a question do i buy another 8 liters and aditiv automatic transmision cleaner from liquid molly to putt inside when it is on right temperature and do like it writen on aditive drop out thrue drain plug then putt new oil? Or just drain again old and put new oil?
And one more thing when i driving like uphill for more power i press more gas pedal ,turbo start to add more power i hear him like it is on truck and when i move foot from gas pedal something under the car i think it is under start like scraping sound but the car is still have rpm and that sound i heard between gear changing not always. I red on this forum thas this can bee turbo sound like blow off sound on turbo cars? I really appreciate healp from all of you and i am so sorry for my bad English. I can record what it is
worries me and send it if someone can healp me? Thanks to all

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dejan, I have a 2.4L gasoline automatic with 235000 km, If I understand you correct, I have the same symptoms with the transmission, as you, I am the second owner and bought the car a couple of months ago.
the correct way of changing transmission fluid, is to go to a mechanic who has a spacial machine to do it, you cannot do it by yourself with out this machine.

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
Dejan,
Your background information is helpful but multiple questions in one single post become complicated to multi answer and track later.
Better to post each question under a named topic. Preferably linked to existing Topic titles.

The following link will be helpful as to how the forum works:-

Firstly you will find there are existing answers on all the points you have raised in the Historic posts stored in the Forum.
The Index Search function enables you to explore all past topics discussed going back approximately 10 years.

The engine oil capacity on the Series 2 (2.2litre engine) is 5.6litres maximum. 6.2 litres is for the earlier Series 1 2.0 litre engine. Do not overfill the 2,2 engine. Overfilling will cause oil aeration which will result in lack of oil to the bearings and possible failure. There is an existing post on this topic

Burnt ATF will be dark red/black. Changing ATF requires professional attention. The vehicle must be elevated with wheels free to turn and there is a sequence which involves shifting through the running gears so as to release the 'trapped' fluid. There is an existing post on this Topic.

Vibrations can be caused by several causes; unbalanced wheels, poor/worn tyres, bearings, drive shaft, etc etc
There are many many existing posts on this Topic.

If you wish to pursue through this Forum please split your questions down into the respective existing Topics but you will find that reading the existing answers will probably answer most of your questions anyway.

Finally, you mention having purchased the vehicle only about two months ago. If this was from a dealer you should have got a Warranty period. If it is defective take it back and get them to fix it or request your money back.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i am so sorry. Thanks for healp and and way to find help on forum. No i am buy car from private person.

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
Dejan,

It is a pity this is a private sale and presumably you had no means of independent testing prior to purchase in Croatia.
In UK we can have a vehicle checked & vetted by our motoring organisations for a modest fee prior to purchase.
As an example on using the Search Tool I've attached one of the previous discussion links this one is on oil overfilling :-

You can do the same for your other questions although the 'vibration' topic is vast covering so many different possibilities. By changing the search wording slightly will bring up different posts. There are so many posted Topic titles on associated question because users dont add to existing Topic and create another Title , then another and another.

A helpful thing you can do is to add your vehicle full details to your Footer 'Signature' then this information automatically follows under all your posts without Forum readers having to refer back to your first entry - which as discussions grow can sometimes be pages back! The Signature is always instantly available for recognition of the vehicle being discussed.

It takes a while to understand the Forum so read the Helpful Guidance suggestions in my previous post and it will be a short cut for your learning.

Keep us informed of your solutions and progress.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dejan, I have a 2.4L gasoline automatic with 235000 km, If I understand you correct, I have the same symptoms with the transmission, as you, I am the second owner and bought the car a couple of months ago.
the correct way of changing transmission fluid, is to go to a mechanic who has a spacial machine to do it, you cannot do it by yourself with out this machine.
This ma
This machine i think only opel/fiat and chevrolet delers got and they are realy price . You see i am from town Rijeka and not good mechanic. The guy i goo to servise it is only good for few thing because he is older guy like old scool mehanic no electronic parts. previous owner show me bill that atf fluid it change and i dont belive that under 15 000 kilometars can be so black and i think they overfill it because i drain 7 liters from drain plug and change oil by self set gearbox to righ temperature go thrue every gear for 3-5 second and check on check plug when car it is runing and i did not top up 7 liters of oil but it is still black. I have garage with canal so i go under the car and the flor it is flat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dejan,

It is a pity this is a private sale and presumably you had no means of independent testing prior to purchase in Croatia.
In UK we can have a vehicle checked & vetted by our motoring organisations for a modest fee prior to purchase.
As an example on using the Search Tool I've attached one of the previous discussion links this one is on oil overfilling :-

You can do the same for your other questions although the 'vibration' topic is vast covering so many different possibilities. By changing the search wording slightly will bring up different posts. There are so many posted Topic titles on associated question because users dont add to existing Topic and create another Title , then another and another.

A helpful thing you can do is to add your vehicle full details to your Footer 'Signature' then this information automatically follows under all your posts without Forum readers having to refer back to your first entry - which as discussions grow can sometimes be pages back! The Signature is always instantly available for recognition of the vehicle being discussed.

It takes a while to understand the Forum so read the Helpful Guidance suggestions in my previous post and it will be a short cut for your learning.

Keep us informed of your solutions and progress.
Good Luck.
No we dont have that. Only if owner want to go to deler and i pay for inspection. Thanks for healp and how to finder on forum what i need. For the oil change on the car yes i seed that because previus owner told me it is time to change the oil because he change before 12 000 kilometars and when i change the oil i see that it have inside 6.2 liters and not 5.4 liters. And he servis his Captviva on deler because he gave mi original service book

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
Dejan, This would not be the first time a GM dealer has incorrectly overfilled the engine oil because they wrongly use the Series 1 Captiva data. The Series 2 has a smaller sump volume.

There is another reason that engine oil levels can rise due to excessive DPF use/activation which washes unused fuel past pistons into the sump. You have not described DPF issues so this probably doesnt apply to your situation.

·
Registered
240 Posts
No we dont have that. Only if owner want to go to deler and i pay for inspection. Thanks for healp and how to finder on forum what i need. For the oil change on the car yes i seed that because previus owner told me it is time to change the oil because he change before 12 000 kilometars and when i change the oil i see that it have inside 6.2 liters and not 5.4 liters. And he servis his Captviva on deler because he gave mi original service book
Aussie is correct.

I do my own oil changes and it takes 5.4 litres if you change the filter. If you dont change the filter is 5l.

I change mine every 6000 miles so 40% below the recommended interval. I would even do it sooner if my DPF fails to regenerate. Which has not happen for a while.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Aussie is correct.

I do my own oil changes and it takes 5.4 litres if you change the filter. If you dont change the filter is 5l.

I change mine every 6000 miles so 40% below the recommended interval. I would even do it sooner if my DPF fails to regenerate. Which has not happen for a while.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi guys. Oil capacity in 2.2D engine is 5,6l, use 5w-30 oil designed for diesel engines. Like Mobil ESP. It is usual,that even GM dealers fill 6,2l instead of 5,6l. Idont know how much overfill will mean in sump but in stick it shows about 1cm over the top.
My Captiva 2.2D autom AWD had zero issues in first 100.000km. After that had 1x tapping fuel injector in idle. Then broken radiator. Both between 105-110tkm. Then nothing up to this date and i have 155tkm on the clock. Passenger side windscreen wiper mechanism went some years ago and i ordered new arms for some €20.
I had transfer box and differential oils changed in 140tkm and it is easy job. Capacity is some 700 ml 75-90 Hypoid for both.
Gearbox oil change was made by the dealer in 120tkm. They just opened the bottom plug and refilled the box with new oil.
I would recommend changing the gearbox oil with this method more often, maybe in 60- 90tkm .
I recommend changing also oil for the transfer box and checking possible tolerances.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks all for info and healp
Nordic owner can you tell me when your dealer change oil in gerbox how much oil they put in and did they touch check plug to let excess oil out?

·
Registered
630 Posts
The manual 6 spd F40 gearbox had a quantity of 3.2 litres originally but this was reduced to 2.4 litres under a GM TIS Field Remedy 2263 to stop foaming of the oil and improve gear changes. You would normally use the level plug to check that the oil level during servicing etc but you can't use it now. You should put in the required amount of oil through the filler plug - normally there's about 300ml left in the gearbox when you drain it so refill should be about 2.1 litres.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There is a video clip on youtube where they change autom transmission oil on Captiva´s gearbox. There is about 4,5 liters coming out and they add the same in. I would still recommend taking the vehicle to dealer for service.
You ave paid a lot of money for the car and this is why you should let the dealer service it even once. Critical points are autom. transmission oil which should be changed every approx. 100.000km. Also transferbox and rear differential oils also every 100.000km. Alternator belt every 6 years or 150.000km or and checking pulleys for wear. I think that if you let them do these main services you can chenge oils and filters by yourself.
Actually transfer box and differential oils does not need the dealer as these oils can be changed by any expertise technician for € 60 ( which i paid) .
Brakes needs to be opened and check the pads and change the fluid every 4 -years periods.
These are my tips for the service of your car to make it work for long time and many kilometres...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts