Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet Captiva 2011 AWD 2.2 VCDI 184 PS Automatic
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello community.For a few days I noticed that in the morning I no longer have heat in the car. I also noticed that the temperature of the coolant reaches 90 degrees very quickly compared to what was usual, from 50 degrees to 90 I don't think it lasts more than 15 seconds. After more time walking and pressing the climatronic controls, the heat starts to come, but very late. What could be the cause?

·
Super Moderator
7,466 Posts
From your description it sounds like a sticking thermostat. Make sure that your coolant level is correct in the header reservoir.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From your description it sounds like a sticking thermostat. Make sure that your coolant level is correct in the header reservoir.
wWhen the coolant reaches 90 degrees it remains a stable sign that the thermostat is opening, shouldn't it exceed 90 if the thermostat is blocked?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I connected a diagnosis and saw that the water temperature rises to 110 degrees Celsius even if the indicator on the board does not show. I checked the antifreeze vessel and the surprise was empty. I filled it with 4 liters of antifreeze and it is still not full. Now the engine temperature does not rise so fast and I have heat in the cabin. Where could so antifreeze disappear?

·
Super Moderator
7,466 Posts
Loss of coolant is your next quest ! Hopefully not via a head gasket.
Thoroughly examine the reservoir header bottle for very small crack(s); Examine the seal on the filler cap. Also examine the hoses/tubes for a minute hole. Any 'staining' on adjacent components might reveal a tiny hole. Also check all clips/clamps on hoses.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Possible water pump leakage. Get in touch with @ches , he had a similar issue and might give you a clue or two.

Reactions: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
I found the source of the antifreeze leak, somewhere in the upper left part of the radiator leaking antifreeze, I do not have access to see exactly the place. The question is whether the radiator cracked by chance or due to too much pressure in the cooling system. I ask this because when I stop the engine and lift the hood I notice how the hose at the top of the expansion vessel, the one coming from the gas cooler and the turbine, moves strongly and makes a strange noise and if I loosing it is throwing hot water in pulsations together with a kind of white foam.It is this normal?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pulsations usually means that you build up pressure. Normally you have pressure in the cooling system after you drive. But running the car for a long time without antifreeze could lead to some big problems. I would suggest to go to a service to check the cooling system for leaks and also for exhaust gases in the cooling system.
Also check that the water pump clutch is engaging correctly when the coolant temperature is above 40deg Celsius. There were a lot of water pumps clutch issues on Captivas sold in Russia. I don't know if the water pump with clutch is present on Captivas sold in 2011, you can easily check with a flashlight looking for the electrical connector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts