Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm having an issue getting hot air from my Cruze. The engine temp is getting up to half and there is no hot air coming from the vents after 30 min at idle. I can drive it about town for an hour around 30/40mph and still nothing. When i take it on the motorway and get up to 70mph the heat eventually kicks in but when i slow down again it fades. I took it to Arnold Clark under warranty and the replaced the thermostat, water pump, & radiator and this still has not resolved the problem. Has anyone had similar issues and found a solution?

Model: Cruze Lt Vcdi
Body Style: Hatchback
Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Size: 1686cc
Year: 2014
AVG Yearly Mileage: 8700 (60469mi)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Generally speaking, you'll get worse heater performance in winter from a diesel engined vehicle than petrol engined.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally speaking, you'll get worse heater performance in winter from a diesel engined vehicle than petrol engined.
Yeah, i agree with that but i went from 15 year-old diesel ford fiesta which defrosted without issues after 10 mins at idle. I get nothing from this car. i have another diesel car which gets warm in decent time also. Something definitely wrong and the dealership cant seem to fix it which is worrying. My next option is to try an independent garage and pay if i cant find any advice online.

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
Rab85, To answer your last question 'Has anyone had similar issues' the answer is yes, and they are discussed in the Forum in different ways.
The Forum Back Index Search function will help you find them ie typically Cruze Heater Issues

There are two things which come to mind. (i) that you have an airlock in your heater matrix or pipework, (ii) there is a failure or incorrect setting in your heater 'flap' positioning actuator. The latter has been discussed across various models not just Cruze. One of the solutions has been to disconnect the battery for an hour or two, then reconnect and this sometimes 'resets' the flap positions.
An airlock is possible especially when a vehicle has been drained down and refilled too quickly. As you have had a dealer attend to various water components I would like to think that they know how to refill a drained system...... but !! Generally speaking the heater valves should be in the open hot position and the coolant added very slowly to allow air to escape from pipework and components. If it is poured in as a volume in a rush the trapped air cant escape and acts as a 'dam' to free flow circulation.
My inclination is the heater flap valve has either failed or requires resetting. Give that a try.

As a Newbie the following link has info on using the Forum and how to access the Advanced Search function where you will be able to read up on similar issues.
Link:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

Reactions: Rab85

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rab85, To answer your last question 'Has anyone had similar issues' the answer is yes, and they are discussed in the Forum in different ways.
The Forum Back Index Search function will help you find them ie typically Cruze Heater Issues

There are two things which come to mind. (i) that you have an airlock in your heater matrix or pipework, (ii) there is a failure or incorrect setting in your heater 'flap' positioning actuator. The latter has been discussed across various models not just Cruze. One of the solutions has been to disconnect the battery for an hour or two, then reconnect and this sometimes 'resets' the flap positions.
An airlock is possible especially when a vehicle has been drained down and refilled too quickly. As you have had a dealer attend to various water components I would like to think that they know how to refill a drained system...... but !! Generally speaking the heater valves should be in the open hot position and the coolant added very slowly to allow air to escape from pipework and components. If it is poured in as a volume in a rush the trapped air cant escape and acts as a 'dam' to free flow circulation.
My inclination is the heater flap valve has either failed or requires resetting. Give that a try.

As a Newbie the following link has info on using the Forum and how to access the Advanced Search function where you will be able to read up on similar issues.
Link:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum
Hello, thank you for the advice and information on using the site. Much appreciated! I will give this a try and provide and update.

Cheers

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yeah, i agree with that but i went from 15 year-old diesel ford fiesta which defrosted without issues after 10 mins at idle. I get nothing from this car. i have another diesel car which gets warm in decent time also. Something definitely wrong and the dealership cant seem to fix it which is worrying. My next option is to try an independent garage and pay if i cant find any advice online.
It's never been my experience that you could start up a diesel from stone cold, let it idle for 10 minutes and expect full defrost performance. I did a quick google of diesel Fiesta heater problems and noted a litany of complaints there. Not that I'm going to read any of them in detail

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's never been my experience that you could start up a diesel from stone cold, let it idle for 10 minutes and expect full defrost performance. I did a quick google of diesel Fiesta heater problems and noted a litany of complaints there. Not that I'm going to read any of them in detail
Not a full defrost but heat would generate in some form and the defrost process would begin. Nothing but ice cold air in the chevy after over 30min. Thanks for your input anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts