Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A knocking/ grinding noise has started in the right front wheel area of my captiva. It Started intermittently, but now It's there all the time. It only occurs whilst car is moving and speeds up as the car accelerates/ slows down as car decelerates. Local mechanic looked at it. Tyres all new, but he swapped them around to see if it was tyre noise. He also checked wheel bearings and calipers (which were ok)and pads/ discs, which will need doing in 3000 miles but ok for now. Noise still there . Any ideas? Many thanks!

·
Registered
997 Posts
There is a small metal dust cover/guard at the main ball joint on the end of the wishbone. I had the same and bent it away from the disc and the noise went away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i had a similar noise on minewhen i took the wheels off i noticed that the distance between the edge of the disc and the caliper is very small and there is always a build up of rust on the edge of the disc
i pinged it off with a hammer and the noise stopped

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you ! will look at both options, fingers x that sorts it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oooh no just been advised by garage its the rear differential....

·
Registered
997 Posts
A noise coming from the front wheel is the rear diff?
I'd ask for a second opinion!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know.... I don't get it either!! This was diagnosed by a chevrolet main dealer, so I took it to my local garage who agreed it didn't make sense. Just waiting to see if Chevrolet are going to cover it on my warranty. If they will then thats all good because if they replace the part and the noise is still there then they will have to look for whatever else is causing it. If I have to pay for it myself I will most definately be getting a second opinion. It doesn't make sense to me. I've done (a little) research and it could be transmission or front u joint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
when my front wheel bearing started making a noise i ran mine up on my ramp,the noise i heard from the rear diff scared the [email protected]# out of me !!i changed the oil and no metal came out but it is still noisey that was two years ago and it is still goingstrong
so i think they are noisey as standard
i agree that a front noise deffo will not come from the rear diff

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, thanks for your post. The thing is though, this noise only really became obvious over the last 3 weeks, so if it was a 'normal' noise, surely I would have heard it since purchasing the car 3 years ago? Its a 59 plate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
are you sure its not a front wheel bearing ?when my o/s/f went you could really hear it whilst driving down the road yet when it was on the ramp it was hardly audible
we spent about an hour listening at different speeds trying to find where it was coming from
in the end i just made a desicion to just change it
mines a 58 done 45ooo miles

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny you should say that.... I just took it to another mechanic for a second opinion and thats exactly what he thinks it is (front wheel bearing). My car does seem to be having the same symptoms as yours was.I can't believe an authorised chevrolet repairer could diagnose a rear diff when the noise is coming from the front. Bit worrying
. Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ps, apologies Little Chalks, I think I misunderstood your post from 13th dec

·
Registered
997 Posts
Roobot said:
Funny you should say that.... I just took it to another mechanic for a second opinion and thats exactly what he thinks it is (front wheel bearing). My car does seem to be having the same symptoms as yours was.I can't believe an authorised chevrolet repairer could diagnose a rear diff when the noise is coming from the front. Bit worrying
. Thanks so much for your help!

Oh, I believe. I have suffered many a "do they think I'm daft" moment at our local dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
just like to add that after my first wheel bearing gradually got noiser and i changed it the n/s also started making a noise about 2000 miles later so its not isolated they are a common failure

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers guys, well I'm definitely gonna go for this 'relatively' cheap option and hope it works!! Will bear that in mind littlechalks thank you. And bigiainw, I will keep my beady eye on chevvy repairers from now on * lmao *

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2010 Captiva LT has just developed same problem about 1 week ago, metallic knocking noise, at first I though I must have had a nail in tyre, but tyres are fine. The noise speeds up and slows down with the car, been driving slowly with my head out of window to find out which wheel it is from, it appears to be the front. The noise stops all together when I slightly apply the brakes with the wheels still turning.Might be just a coincidence, but a week before knocking started car just had a product safety recall at main dealer to replace brake fluid.It's booked back in next week for them to take a look, until then I turn the radio up. Will let you know outcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm new on here and have owned my Captiva ltx auto since it was new 3 years ago.

In response to a few of you experiencing a metallic rotational noise from the front wheels I feel compelled to share my knowledge and experience with you!

The noise is caused by sticking brake pads. Remove the lower sliding bolt on your caliper and rotate it upwards and away from the brake pads which are held in place with tin clips. Secure the caliper with a bungee or something to stop it from falling back down. Apply copper slip to the guides and the lugs at the top and bottom of each pad, being very careful not to get any on the brake disc.

Release and rotate the caliper back into place and re-fit the sliding bolt - don't overtighten!

The problem may return after the applied lubrication dries out, fitting new pads will solve the problem!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to let everyone know that the problem with my car definitely was o/s/f wheel bearing. (Well done little chalks) . Had it replaced by my local mechanic and now no more noise!! Yay!!
Needless to say I'm going to be calling the authorised chevvy repairer up to see why they failed to diagnose it, and instead diagnose an entirely different (and coincidentally very expensive) problem.
Sherbert, after my experiences I would be very wary about who you take your car to. Find a garage you trust (even if its not the cheapest) and stick with them. I've not had much luck with 'authorised chevvy repairers' so far. The last one who did my service failed to connect my fuel pipe properly and I stopped to a halt on a motorway when it fell off!!
I'm keeping my fingers very crossed for the brake fluid recall next week...

·
Registered
18 Posts
thats absolutely awesome rooboti am pleased that my advise was of some use
just keep your ear open for the other side !

i work at a mercedes benz main dealer and some of the things i see going on in andaround customers vehicles is shocking and unfortunately its not going to get any better due to the skill level coming through the ranks

all the good guys end up at small workshops where they feel they can make a difference ,at main dealers we are all just numbers making profist for large companies

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Hi Littlechalks, Roobot and others who have had front wheel bearing failure. Can you chaps indicate the approx mileage you experienced failure. As this appears to be a common 'weak item' it will help the rest of us to know roughly when to look out for this possible problem. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts