Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Captiva 2.0ltr AWD diesel
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, i’m new to this forum, anyway i’ll get to the point.
I have a 2.0ltr 2010 captiva that recently got a turbocharger changed, since it has i have a weird whining squeal coming from the engine bay, you can hear it with the video i attached

I’ve heard many different causes and i’m a bit confused now.
When i press the accelerator the squeal follows, also it’s noticeable on a cold start without accelerating but disappears as the engine warms up however accelerating still has the same squeal.

·
Registered
2008 C100 awd diesel
64 Posts
Do you have any power losses? If not, sounds like a pulley or the accessory belt tensioner. If engine has power loss, maybe turbo pipes are not secure

·
Super Moderator
7,992 Posts
I would go with Raffo's thoughts that it is possibly an incorrectly tensioned belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah there is no power loss, however so even though this just started which a replaced turbo you guys think it has nothing to do with it?

·
Super Moderator
7,992 Posts
The turbo is driven by a belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This may be a stupid question but is the tension belt and timing belt the same thing or is it different?

·
Super Moderator
7,992 Posts
Had to check the date there in case it was April 1st

Or are you just checking to see if the rest of are awake Ed?

The turbo ain't belt driven unless you mean a belt of hot exhaust gases like KELT-9b :):):)
Quite correct Victor, My mind was thinking alternator for some reason - maybe the heat has cooked my brain ! I retract post #5
I still think squealing can be belt caused. Maybe something was slackened off and not correctly tightened.

·
Registered
2008 C100 awd diesel
64 Posts
This may be a stupid question but is the tension belt and timing belt the same thing or is it different?
Well, the timing belt, which moves the camshaft, fuel and water pump, has a tensioner. Also the accessory belt, which moves the alternator, power steering and a/c pump, has another tensioner. So maybe your question was are the timing and accessory belts the same thing? No, they are not

1 - 9 of 9 Posts