Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 57 Captiva had developedadreadfulintermittent grinding and scraping noise from the front wheels which disappeared when I braked and then returned. It was bad enough to "feel" through the steering wheel. It couldn't be the pads as I'd replaced them only a month before. Eventually I realised that on the outer edge of the inboard disk of the double disks was a build-up of rust of up to about 3 or 4 mm. It was thick enough to catch on the antisqueal plates fitted behind the pads. I chipped it all off and put a thin coat of brake grease on the very edge of the disk. Noise gone!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I will get them checked but they seem hardly worn. The build up of rust was on the outer rim of the disk - not on the pad area.

I've never had this happen before on any of the cars I've had. This was a new one on me. I'd been dreading an expensive garage bill so was quite surprised to find a quite simple solution once I'd got the wheels off and had a look.
Another useful tip -smear the back of the wheels with a film of copper grease so they don't bind to the steel hub. It makes them much easier to remove.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts