Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Aveo LT 1.4 manual 5 door 106k
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope that my car details are now visible to everyone.

Followed the instructions kindly left by Metro 1000 in the ' Signature ' section.

I can't get hold of my mechanic just yet but think from having a 2007 Kalos in the past, that the 02/Lambda sensor is at fault..
Until the EML fault is correctly pinpointed i will NOT order any parts, but I cannot believe the response I've had so far.

Not one vendor appears to have either the Pre or post-cat 02/Lambda sensors.
No appears to have a catalytic converter either, new or used.

One vendor insists this engine is an F14d3; another claims it is the G14D

Would this be on the VIN plate?

The engine is occasionally hard to start when cold but always idles smoothly at around 700 rpm and there is no misfire at this speed. It DOES STRUGGLE UNDER LOAD UPTO ABOUT 3000 RPM AND THEN CLEARS.
No overheating, no smoke.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1st timer on here ... came on looking for info on something else but found this post 1st up.

I think you are correct with diag. I had a faulty Lambda downstream sensor a few weeks ago with similar problems. EML on and poor fuel economy. Car would not pull under load at all, crawling up hill. Also used to die when pulling off in 1st unless I kept the revs above 3000.

Friend of mine got the fault code which I can't remember what it was now and pinpointed it as the downstream Lambda sensor.

Dropped car into my local garage, who found the sensor a real nightmare to id and source.

Since swapped over it runs sweet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Most likely the F14D3 or 4, register at Zimpel & Franke

Or another VIN lookup, this will give you the engine type and serial number, you can cross check it with your V5 (should be 033524KA from looking at babasellmycar info for your vehicle)

Get it put on at least a simple diagnostic tester and look at the fault, and cancel it before ordering anything, see what happens and look at the codes when it comes back.

Do all the other checks, plugs out, leads, air filter etc.

Generic sensors are available, and cheap, but may need the leads from the old one soldering on. Accept that parts will not be commonly available for these cars now.

Sort the engine out first, then the clutch.

Price was fair enough though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got the Electrician to scan the engine. Here is what he found after a very long session: there is no entry for the 1.4 1399cc ANYWHERE!.

Eventually, scanning a Russian market version of this car - Ravon - did yield some results.
Even then, this was for the 1.6 version which was never sold in the UK

P0340 -00 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit

This car has 2 such sensors - very easy to access - both the same - one for the inlet phase and the other for the exhaust cycle.

The electrician was able to pinpoint the rear sensor (inlet) as the culprit.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
A good result then, and wise not to jump to conclusions. Keep us posted with progress, always useful for future reference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooops...
Made a mistake... the Cam sensors ARE NOT THE SAME. There is a lug inside each connector which prevents you from swapping them around ...the exhaust sensor can't be swapped for the inlet, they will fit in the head, but the connectors are different.

P0340 -00 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit.

The sensor is a Delphi SS10953 and is available from various sellers from about £16 - 42.
I paid £16. It would have made more sense to replace the Exhaust side sensor at the same time but this was not in stock at the time.

Fitting took 15 mins' and now the power loss and difficult starting are gone. The EML is refusing to extinguish however, so now I'll drive it for some while to see if it clears....if it doesn't, then the Scannerman will get another call.

If you ever buy a similar sensor, make sure
20201126_115608.jpg
the seller asks this question:

" Which one do you require: exhaust or intake?"

·
Registered
308 Posts
Good to see you are making progress.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Think it takes 2-3 start ups for the EML to go out once it stops detecting a bad sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts