Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been recently getting the REP-light shown and associated power loss while I'm decelerating after going over 60-70km/h.
This doesn't happen always and since it has started doing it lately it seems like it's happening on a bit colder and damper weathers.
The REP comes with a service light but that doesn't illuminate long enough to remember. This might also be the reason I'm not getting any fault codes out of it. Maybe it stays on memory and a garage can get a hold of it?

What might be the reason for such behavior? It's quite annoying since on REP-state I can't accelerate properly and uphills are like driving on a tar.

I tried to search similar symptoms from the forum but couldn't find any or didn't understand the correlations between the earlier posts problem and mine. So forgive me if there's already a post about the same thing and thank you for guiding me to such post.

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
AkAntA, Reduced engine power is an extensively discussed topic across many posts. with different titles and different reasons.
The Forum Search Function lists them. Typical link here :- Search results for query: reduced engine power

The reasons can be one or a series of causes. There are so many sensors regulating the modern engine. An often cause is a Blocked DPF or repeated failure of completing the regeneration process. This will trigger power reduction. The other often cause is a defective ABS sensor. This will send a 'lack of stability' signal which in turn triggers the power deduction for safety reasons.

The answer is to endeavour to obtain deep OBD codes (note that few budget home user code readers are able to read GM stability codes) . With out OBD codes neither you nor we can advance any further and suggestions will simply be guess work.

There is a useful link which may be worth reading especially in using the Forum Advanced Search function.
Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update on the issue:

The car has been in garage for this issue for couple of times now.
First time they replaced the MAF sensor because they found P0101 code laying there.
This didn't resolve the problem.
Now the latest visit didn't bring up any better solutions. P0101 was found again even thought everything seems to be in order. They've checked the wirings, air hoses and the sensor (once again) but all seemed to be fine.
They also couldn't reproduce the error. Although they didn't drove it outside the garage for this, only some simulation I heard. It is a bit tricky to reproduce since it comes after decelerating from high speeds (80-100km/h).
Garage ran out of options there...

Any suggestion what to check next?

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
AAA, I'll assume that your dealer has diagnostic equipment capable of reading all GM codes.
If there are no splits in the air hoses, then the next area is to check for a failed intake manifold gasket. See this link :- Chevy Captiva P0101 Diagnosis: MAF Sensor | Drivetrain Resource
It has been known for air intake hoses to soften and collapse (suck flat affecting air flow). I'm noting your remarks mention 'after higher speed' (ie hot engine). This is not visible statically but a soft hose can be easily squeezed between fingers. There is a previous post on this cause / solution.
The Forum Search function may be worthwhile exploring for the many and various similar posted entries for other possibilities.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another update on the issue:
The Captiva has been on two different garages now. The one I normally use is authorized Chevrolet garage and the other that the Captiva been in is an Opel garage.
After running out of the options in Chevrolet garage they've sent me to the Opel garage since they had better electrical mechanics there. Or so they said in Chevrolet garage.
Well they did their diagnostics over at the OG and came up with a conclusion that the EGR-valve is the reason for this problem. I took the Captiva to CG for EGR-valve change (they had a bit cheaper prices) and thought this would solve the issue.
Well if it would have I wouldn't be posting this.
It didn't took two days when the REP-functions kicked back in.
Back to the OG for another diagnostics it was.
Got the Captiva back yesterday and this time even OG didn't have any new solutions to propose. Yet this time they've noticed that there was coolant splashes on the battery. They added some coolant, did a test drive to get the REP-light show up (which didn't) and they've noticed coolant smell during the drive. Back at the garage they've also noticed that there was an abnormal pressure on the header tank.
Could this pressure issue be hooked up with the REP-issue in any way?

There is no more Chevy garages in my town so next option for me is to take it to another city for another garage if I can't find any possible reasons from the Internet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts