Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’m hoping someone can help. I bought a second hand Captiva back in March. It’s 2l LX model, it is a 60 plate but is officially registered as February 2011. It has a timing chain and not a timing belt, so think this is a series 2?

We had to replace the battery already and the DPF warning light kept coming on, so had to pay £200 to have it fully cleaned and flushed out. The guy said it was the dirtiest one he’d seen in years! At was fine for about 6 weeks, but about 2 weeks ago the airbag light came on and stayed on, whereas it used to go off.
Then yesterday my husband was driving it and the engine light came on, followed by the oil light. Both lights disappeared after about 5 minutes, but then it started to lose power and was making a terrible noise. When he went to reverse it, he had to put his foot all the way down on the accelerator to get it to reverse. It was still losing power on the drive home. I went out and started it about 10 minutes later and no warning lights came on (besides the airbag light which is always on now) and it sounded fine, although I didn’t drive it.

We know someone with a code reader so he came over this morning and plugged it into the car. It came back with no error codes and seemed to be fine. The guy knows a bit about cars and said it could be the other part of the DPF which is to do with the exhaust (he did tell me the name, but I’m not technically minded and don’t have a clue about cars I’m afraid) that has the problem which is why it’s losing power, and the airbag light could be due to a loose connection which are hard to find, meaning a costly stay at a garage while they try to find it.

Does anyone here have any ideas as to what the issue/s could be? I’m so annoyed, we had needless problems with our last car so got rid of it, only to get a car with even more problems! We don’t have much money so can’t really afford this constant work it needs, so it would be brilliant if someone here could perhaps narrow it down so we can tell a mechanic what to fix and it will hopefully be cheaper than letting them search for it!

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Ejsic, Multiple part question. (which we try to avoid because responses become mixed up)

Firstly, Series 2 didnt start in the UK until spring 2011. Coupled with a 2.0 litre (diesel?) engine this is very probably a Series 1. Which in turn to my knowledge has a belt.

Airbag light ; typically connector problems under the seat. Well documented on this Forum.

I'll rule out DPF (for now) as you say it has been cleaned out. But there are sensors which can be troublesome / damaged.

If the 'someone' who had a code reader didnt use a Scanner capable of reading all GM codes then this will account for for no codes shown.

Loss of Power is a well documented issue on this Forum and is usually associated with one of three things (i) DPF; (ii) gearbox (you dont advise if it is manual or auto); (iii) Stability control - often associated with ABS.
The vehicle goes into Limp Home mode' for safety reasons.

Important to clarify 'Engine light' and 'Oil light' . Confusion with some other lights? Reconfirm which lights came on.

All of the topics you mention have quite extensive discussions. You can look up about ten years worth of Topics by using the Advanced Search function. Go to the three White dots top right of black header bar. Select Advanced Search. Type in Topic, (leave member name blank), select Captiva.
It is going to be tedious reading covering all these topics but you will get a better indication of how other owners have solved similar problems.

Helpful tips on using the Forum are on this Link :-

When you reply please try and use an existing Topic to build upon and for simplicity of answering it is better to list Topics separately by 'heading' other wise on multiple questions/answers it can become a bit jumbled.

Try and find someone who has a GM Scanner because with the difficulties you are experiencing it is pretty certain that there will be some codes. If need be take the vehicle to Buckingham & Stanley Thrumpington Rd. They are/were Chevrolet dealers and will probably have the appropriate Scanner.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. It definitely has a timing chain, I asked when we bought it and he showed us. It’s an automatic. I did search through for a couple of the problems, but answers were varied and often applied to different models of the Captiva, so I thought putting everything in one post would be easier for someone to reply to.

the guy who used the code reader used a small black plug in that used an app on his phone, he works at an F1 garage so I’m assuming it was a proper one as he didn’t say that it could be an error code that his machine can’t pick up.

I checked with my husband and he said it was the battery light that came on (we fitted a brand new battery less than 2 months ago) and the oil light with a spanner next to it. We checked the oil and the level is fine. When we bought it in March the garage said it had had a full service, and it was printed out on a sheet what they’d done.

I don’t suppose you know how much a Chevrolet garage would charge for putting it on the scanner? We can’t afford to pay for anything extra really!

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Hi Ejsic, Thanks for responding. I wasnt criticising your original combined post because it has given a very informative potted overview of your concerns. By the way I should have commended you in my earlier response that you fully completed your 'Location' which enabled me to mention Buckingham & Stanley and for giving some vehicle info in your signature footer. Well done.

Now I have to say I am totally confused about your reference to your vehicle having a timing chain. The timing chain variant engine was introduced with the 2.2 engine (Series 2) which was released in the second quarter of 2011 which was after your vehicle was registered. How your seller showed you the timing chain I simply dont know because (a) the chain variant engine didnt exist on on the Captiva until the Series 2 (You have a Series 1) and (b) you cannot visually see the chain because it is behind the front engine plate cover.

I'm going to invite of forum members who have worked on the Series 1 engine to correct me if the Series 1 ever had a timing chain.

As for plugging in the a code reader to the OBD port and getting no Codes this is no surprise. GM is well known for having Codes which can only be fully diagnosed by using a GM capable scanner. I'm sorry but I have no idea how much Buckingham & Stanley will charge for a detailed Scan print out.

As far as the 'oil light' illuminating - does the Service receipt say which engine oil was used?

We can persevere with this but there are some anomalies we need to iron out.

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Ejsic, Quick question. When you say " and the oil light with a spanner next to it " are you meaning the icon with the oil can, and a separate icon with the shape of a vehicle with a Spanner inside it?
The latter can illuminate if the vehicle is due a service. However as you say it has had a service then this could easily indicate that whoever did the service didnt 'reset' the Service setting back to zero.
This is a very common failure by poorly qualified engineers not familiar with the vehicle or not having the necessary scan equipment to enable resetting. The other possibility is not using the correct grade of engine oil - which is crucial for engines with DPF.
For the Series 1 this is typically 10w40 or 15w40SJ . On the Series 2 engine 0w30 SM C3 Dexos2. In all cases engines with a DPF fitted, a low Saps oil to C3 Dexos 2 rating is to be recommended. Your owners Handbook will confirm what applies to your model.

Your didnt complete in your vehicle footer info but what mileage has this vehicle done? You can add this along with Auto gearbox to your Footer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh I didn’t think you were criticising, I was just trying to explain why I did what I did!

After reading your post I became concerned about what we were told by the garage so I got my husband to look properly under the bonnet and it is a timing belt!!! So we were lied to, no idea why the garage felt the need to lie about something like that. It’s done 94k so no doubt due for replacing, it felt tight and wasn’t slack so that’s a good sign I suppose, although it will need doing shortly.

I checked the service receipt and all it is, is a typed list of what they say they did. No mention of oil type used to replace it. I’m becoming more and more concerned about this garage and that they’ve sold us a vehicle with loads of problems, and I’m wondering if they even performed the service now!

I have emailed Buckingham to ask about the price for a scan, and we’ve asked a local mechanic to pop over and have a quick look at it to see what he thinks about the issues we’re having.

The oil light has the spanner on the same light, not a separate one, which indicates there’s a definite issue with the oil or oil system.

My husband followed the advice on here and checked the wires under the drivers seat but nothing was loose, he unplugged and replugged them but it hasn’t made any difference and the airbag light is still on.

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Ejsic, Thanks for coming back to me and confirming the 'belt' situation. I'm grateful you have cleared that up.

I'm sorry the responses I've given have cast some doubt on the reliability and maybe even the honesty of the dealer you purchased your vehicle from.
The description of concerns you gave had to be answered honestly and to be fair there can be 'degrees' of concern on some issues from mild to possibly severe but at 'distance correspondence' it is not possible to know the true picture.

For example the oil light illuminating may simply be the incorrect grade of oil used (what I call the one drum mechanic where there is a single huge drum of oil out the back and irrespective of the vehicle specification - that's the grade which gets put in!). They could have erroneously used the Series 2 oil speci as a genuine mistake, which as a 'thinner' rating than the Series 1 requires, may account for the oil icon illuminating. What I'm trying t o say is dont read the worst into the possible responses you receive on this forum because they may cover anything from insignificant easy fixes through to sounding severe.

The next step is as you indicate - get a second opinion from a reliable dealer/mechanic.

Keep us informed of your progress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts