Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While it's in the garage having the brake recall done I asked if they could just change the oil and filter - it was done recently during the service but lots of short journeys prompted me to think about an extra change between services.
Vauxhall/Chevrolet main dealer.

£120 sir.

Er, no thanks.

Am I being unrealistic, or is this really the going price?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just main dealers prices, round figures half hour labour £50 oil £40 filter £10 vat £20 = £120. Lot cheaper to do it your self. "OR IS IT" Should have stopped in bed on Saturday, decided to do an oil change, first not paying proper attention to something I have done hundreds of times I took the car over the stops and straight off the end of the ramps I don't know if I was ready for tears or punching somebody. Jacked the car up and got the ramps out they were mangled a bit were the car had landed on them but luckily the cars are strong kit and only took some under seal and paint off the sill on both sides where you jack the car up, put some galvanize spray on and will touch the under seal up when it getsa bit warmer. But things did not go any better put the car back on the ramps and started to drain the oil into an old oil container with the side cut out, normally I use a big plastic tub [but this was the day I had given my brain the day off] any body guess what happened next, of course you can not get six and a half liters of dirty engine oil into a 5 liter container on trying to swap the container it promptly up skittled and went all over the drive and into my tool box which it was balanced on. managed to clean most of it off the drive with some drive cleaner but still have a tool box full of oil andtools that aredefinitely not going to go rusty for the time being. So compared to me I think you got an absolute bargain minghis.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Now, if only you had filmed that, you coukld have covered your costs with the £250 from "You've been Framed".

Now that I've stopped laughing my heart goes out to you Al!

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Minghis, Somewhere in back posts there is mention of one of the Tyre/exhaust firms who will do oil & filter change at good price. I'll try and find it. About 4-5 months ago.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Aussie Ed just be carefull about the type of oil which they use, also check if their budget coat is restricted to 5 litres of oil.

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Evo, You are quite right to stress use of the correct oil - something I have 'flagged' on several previous posts. I havent personally used the high street tyre/service centres as my Captiva is still under warranty and I have a three year service deal, but some of our forum members have. National Tyres have an on-line quote function for oil change. Worth checking v's dealer price.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep - agreed on all the points re the correct oil, hence me asking the dealer who usually services the car to quote for the oil change.
I wouldn't even think about getting it done somewhere else - I know we all sometimes whinge about main dealers but at least they have a sort of obligation to use the correct oils and parts... at a price!

Our car only does short runs, less than a mile twice a day and the occasional longer run but nothing like what it should be like to keep everything heated up, if you see what I mean, hence the desire for more frequent oil changes.

I'll have a word with a local independent garage and see ifI can come up with a wayof getting them to do it but with the correct oil.

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
I'll have a word with a local independent garage and see ifI can come up with a wayof getting them to do it but with the correct oil.
[/QUOTE]

Answer possibly is to purchase the 'correct oil' yourself and supply to them; they knock price of their oil off bill.

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
<div style="direction: ltr; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; : transparent; overflow: ; font-family: arial, sans-serif, verdana, 'bitstream vera sans'; font-size: 11px;">5 litres acea c3 5w30 asda £20
<div style="direction: ltr; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; : transparent; overflow: ; font-family: arial, sans-serif, verdana, 'bitstream vera sans'; font-size: 11px;">http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-5W30-Fully-Synthetic-Oil---5L/001023765,default,pd.html?cm_vc=PPCXSLLF for those on the forum who might be interested.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The oil spec for the 2.0 vcdi is 5w40.

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
Tough BigIain, You will have to miss out on a bargain - must be a great disappointment for a scotsman!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I do like a bargain, but that implys best value, not cheapest. If Asda's other products are anything to go by, I would give it a miss anyhow... An extra £10 or so isbetter valuethan a new engine.
I only mentioned it because you seemed to be replying to another 2.0 owner, and that oil is no use to them.
Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got a job lot of castrol edge oil. Its the 5W-30. Now my LT 2.0 D has just had the oil n filter changed last week. All is currently OK. The fluid chart in the book actually shows both this spec and the 5W-40 as being suitable for the temperature range that the car will be operating in. So what's the problem with using this spec in the diesel's? Or is there no problem? The car is ex motability vehicle and was main dealer serviced, it has about 36 thousand on the clock.
The book also recommends change at 12 months intervals.

Do I have a potential problem or should it be OK?

·
Super Moderator
7,469 Posts
HandyAndy, Edge is a good oil but watch out; you have a diesel (2.0 D) so make sure you have the diesel grade Edge (C3) and not the petrol A or B grade Edge. Grade C3 for diesel will help reduce DPF problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts