Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Captiva has only done 5500, but the change oil light has come on twice, the first time I just reset it and it stayed off for 2 months but it has just come back on again. IfI was to change the oil myself wouldI invalidate the waranty?

·
Registered
652 Posts
No, providing you conform to specification, they cannot invalidate warranty for this as it is normal maintenance. There has been a few threads on here about the oil grade, so make sure you conform to that. Also best use the specified filter manufacture, they cant argue then.

If it is in warranty though keep an eye on it, as that seems strange for the light to come on after just 5k miles... Suspect the oil is corrupted somehow, maybe with fuel, which indicates another problem maybe.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The most readily available and suitable oil is castol edge fully synthetic, 5w40. I buy mine at costco- about £28.50 for 4 litres and you need over 6 litres.
If ther oil has fuel in it, the easiest way to confirm that is to drop a spot on a piece of kitchen roll. The diesel will form a wet yellowy ring round the black oil as it moves through the paper faster than the oil.

As for the warranty, if you use chevy parts, how would they know? Your only issue would be that you'd need to still have the car serviced to the chevy specs to maintain the warranty, so you'd replace the oil and filter before it technically required it.

Iain

1 - 3 of 3 Posts