Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has this happened to anybody else .i was driving back from southampton today and i had a horrible smell coming the engine so when i got home my husband had a look at the car and he instantly saw what the problem was
the oil filler cap had some how undid its self and during the trip had managed to turn itself upside down and we lost some oil as well.
the car has not been serviced for 10 months and we have never had to refill with oil after checking the dipstick.
this should not have happened on a diesel car thats only done 50.000 miles
do you guys think something sinister is going on or do you think it maybe just a worn fill cap ?

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
I doubt there is anything 'sinister' as these dont normally unscrew themselves! Maybe never properly locked home the last time it had oil change? The potential 'sinister' possible give away in your post is that you tell us the vehicle hasnt been Serviced for Ten Months. Does this mean that you dont lift the bonnet between services and do a few basic checks from time to time on items like the dip stick, tightness of oil filler cap, screen wash top-up, corrosion on battery terminals etc etc?! These are the wise responsibilities of owning a vehicle.
To fully remove the 'oil smell' you'll probably need a careful steam clean of the engine bay.
As for a 'worn' filler cap, just check to make sure it still has the locking tabs or undamaged screw thread (depending upon style of cap used).

As a new Forum Member the following link will guide you how to complete your Location (which you left blank) and details of your vehicle such as year, variant, engine etc etc. Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

1 - 2 of 2 Posts