Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So folks I'm new to the Captiva. Anyway, we noticed there looked like a oil leak on the tarmac under the car. Big puddle. So I got the car jacked up and had a look underneath. Fluids everywhere on nearside. Im thinking major oil leak. Anyway I do some searching on Google and find this site. Read some of the threads mentioning sump gasket and head gasket leaks. Anyway, I pulls off the engine tray. Fluids every where. It's look like there was/is a leak on the lower power steering fluid rail at the front. I cleaned up the unions and it shows a slight weep. The puddle that was happening was no weep. Anyway so I clean the sump, gearbox, driveshaft, steering rack, boots inner and outer. Suspension arm. Nothing obvious. So I fires up the engine and check for leaks. Nothing obvious. Nothing from the usual suspects so I'm calmer now as I know it won't be a big job, just a pipe leaking somewhere. So I couldn't spot anything. Put the wheel back on and did some more research. Topped up the power steering reservoir. Thought it was that. But a few days later another puddle. Checked the reservoir no change. So jacked her up and whipped of the wheel again. This time I noticed dripping from high up in the engine bay as seen from under the nearside wheel arch. Puts my hand up and feel a canister. Had a look from the top of the the engine bay. There is a canister hidden near the firewall under the coolant and power steering reservoirs. So I check and find it's the fuel filter. Puts my hand underneath and can feel a steady drip. So I read a few posts on here about it and tried to tightened what felt like a loose part at the bottom. Anyway if looks like I need to replace the fuel filter canister. No.1 on my list of jobs. I'm waiting to find one from a breakers or on eBay at reasonable price. Hooked up a temporary catch can at the minute.Edited by: Pegasusturbo

·
Registered
232 Posts
The housing is available on eBay, don't get a second hand one, they do break.A pig of a job to remove, battery, coolant bottle and bracket need to be removed. one ABS pipe needs to be very gently bent out the way.
A lot of wiggling needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the top not torqued up properly in the end. I bought the special tool and torqued it up, no further leaks.

Regards

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
got a captiva in Australia. same problem change oil light kept coming on even not close to being due. The problem will go when i dump the car. it is what it is. nothing but problems with captivas.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
got a captiva in Australia. same problem change oil light kept coming on even not close to being due. The problem will go when i dump the car. it is what it is. nothing but problems with captivas.
You give us no information but have you had the Engine Service properly 'reset' ?

As a new Forum Member the following link will Guide you on completing your Sign-Up; location and vehicle details.
Helpful Guidance Using the Forum Open the link fully to read it all.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I know it's an old thread but I find it odd that Pegasusturbo claims he has a fuel filter on the bulkhead yet he has the Series 2 Captiva with the 2.2 litre diesel which has a twin fuel filter arrangement mounted below the floor just forward of the NSR wheel.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
That's where I thought they were too. No idea what the 'canister' is on the engine bulkhead. I've sold my Cappy so I cant even go and check.

Moving on to Nobbsy's post, he refers to Engine Service light problem which actually isnt the Topic caption anyway (Oil leak); and as he provides no other information about his vehicle, the problem or history we are on a crystal ball guessing game - again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts