Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I did my weekly shop on Saturday morning and over the tannoy they told of a deal on the engine oils in store.

I went round to take a look and found the Castrol Edge on offer. See http://db.tt/TEdx0xsT

They also had their own oil on as well, this also in a 5 litre container, to the correct C3 spec http://db.tt/S0aTlPKQ

I got a can of the ASDA oil to try out at that price
I just hope it has a good shelf life on it.

Just as I am on the subject of oil, I went out on Saturday in the Captiva, then on arriving home to collect the wife, I noticed a warning light on the dash, a spanner and an oil can?? On checking the book, I found out that this is the oil life "what's i mi jig light" to tell me the oil is ready to change? How does this work? Is it on a timer, say 12 months or does it sample the condition of the oil?

I ask, as I only changed the oil the week before Christmas, I didn't do the engine off, turn ignition on and press the accelerator three time in 5 seconds. So is this just the indicator telling me the time is right to change, except that I did it a little early??

All suggestions welcome

·
Registered
476 Posts
Since you did not reset the oil life system with the accelerator it does not know the oil has been changed, and is giving you an analysis from when the system was last reset. The oil change light comes on via the ECU which monitors the engine's life since the last resetregarding, time, mileage,stop starts, speeds, temperatures,dpf regenerations etc and when it feels its had enough it brings on the light. [It does not actually test the oil].
Edited by: Big Al

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Big Al, thank goodness for that. I was begining to wonder if it was trying to tell me it didnt like the oil

Ah well, I can sleep easier now tonight

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, just to add to big al's post I had the oil changed a bit early in my service, and as the light wasnt already on they didnt reset it, so the light came on 2 months later. Just took it back to garage and they reset it for me

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is easy to reset. ignition to on then in less than 5 seconds press the accelerator 3 times quickly, turn off ignition. Job done, start the car as normal and the light should have gone out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice one thanks! Luckily car had to go in anyway so I didn't have to make a special trip but will use this tip next time it happens!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Roobot said:
Yeah, just to add to big al's post I had the oil changed a bit early in my service, and as the light wasnt already on they didnt reset it, so the light came on 2 months later. Just took it back to garage and they reset it for me

So next time the light comes on it will be 2 months (and the corresponding mileage) late?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts