Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Holden Captiva 2.2L diesel LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have 2.2L diesel, oil warning light comes on when the engine is at operating temp and driving especially at speed. Slightly slows car. Checked oil many times, and oil level is fine. Had oil pressure tested and was fine. Any ideas

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you are sure that the oil pressure is good it might be that the sensor is bad. How did you tested the pressure?

You can monitor with a scan tool the pressure sensor to see what happens when the fault appears.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are sure that the oil pressure is good it might be that the sensor is bad. How did you tested the pressure?

You can monitor with a scan tool the pressure sensor to see what happens when the fault appears.
The shop did it but I’m unsure whether they did it when the fault appeared. They were thinking it was the oil level sensor, where ever that’s located

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shop did it but I’m unsure whether they did it when the fault appeared. They were thinking it was the oil level sensor, where ever that’s located
I’ve got the car back and once I work out where it’s located I’ll replace it

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
JP, As Ches has indicated the oil pressure (or level sensor) may be defective or even a vibration failing wire or dirty connector. But..... what about the grade of oil you are using and when was it last changed? You make no mention of these. What is your oil level when tested by dip stick? Does it indicate high? If it is high then possibly you have fuel contamination of engine oil which will affect its viscosity.
We have no other information on the vehicle ie year, auto/manual, mileage etc all of which assists build a picture. As does world location which you left blank on Sign up. The system is indicating Australia is this correct?
You can find out how to complete these, and general Helpful Forum tips on this link ;- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

Reactions: gcmarcal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JP, As Ches has indicated the oil pressure (or level sensor) may be defective or even a vibration failing wire or dirty connector. But..... what about the grade of oil you are using and when was it last changed? You make no mention of these. What is your oil level when tested by dip stick? Does it indicate high? If it is high then possibly you have fuel contamination of engine oil which will affect its viscosity.
We have no other information on the vehicle ie year, auto/manual, mileage etc all of which assists build a picture. As does world location which you left blank on Sign up. The system is indicating Australia is this correct?
You can find out how to complete these, and general Helpful Forum tips on this link ;- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum
Hi Aus, Yeap from Oz, in regards to the oil, it’s rather new oil but does look slightly contaminated. The level is only just slightly high, but I did have a previous problem of a stuck open egr valve, and also a leak in the egr cooler which were both replaced (with the same oil).

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
Hi Aus, Yeap from Oz, in regards to the oil, it’s rather new oil but does look slightly contaminated. The level is only just slightly high, but I did have a previous problem of a stuck open egr valve, and also a leak in the egr cooler which were both replaced (with the same oil).
JP, It doesnt take long for oil in a diesel to discolour. Do you happen to know what grade of oil was used? I was just wondering if the viscosity was incorrect hence triggering the 'low pressure'. For the sake of the cost of an oil refill and a filter I'd consider changing the oil.

Thanks for updating your info(y) I used to live near Wollongong Illawarra .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JP, It doesnt take long for oil in a diesel to discolour. Do you happen to know what grade of oil was used? I was just wondering if the viscosity was incorrect hence triggering the 'low pressure'. For the sake of the cost of an oil refill and a filter I'd consider changing the oil.

Thanks for updating your info(y) I used to live near Wollongong Illawarra .
Hey mate, it was castrol magnatec suv, 5W30dexos. Done less than 300km with it. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
Hey mate, it was castrol magnatec suv, 5W30dexos. Done less than 300km with it. Cheers
JP, Well from that info I dont think that the oil is the problem. Tick that off the list of possibilities. Back to checking the sensors and/or the wiring connectors.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a 2007 3.2 v6 oil pressure light came on turned out to be the sensor.

·
Registered
Captiva 7 LX 2012
2 Posts
JP, Well from that info I dont think that the oil is the problem. Tick that off the list of possibilities. Back to checking the sensors and/or the wiring connectors.
Hi Ed.

I've got a 2.2l 2013 Captiva as well and have the exact same problem you mentioned. Oil pressure sensor light coming on at operating temperature and at speed. Intermittent but slows the car down when it comes on.

Did you work out the problem? I am about to buy a new pressure sensor but wanted to see if you had any suggestions.
Cheers also from Australia.

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
SandyT, I should point out that I never had this problem and didnt open/start this topic. I did however make some suggestions as to possible causes/solution.
Member JP had the problem and never posted the solution so I am no wiser that you. Read the sequence of posts and possible causes.

For some reason you didnt complete your Sign-Up or vehicle details in the appropriate sections. The Forum system believes you are located in Australia ?

Read the following link to complete your Sign-Up details :-

·
Registered
Captiva 7 LX 2012
2 Posts
Thanks @Aussie Ed for that. I got confused with the OP.

Hopefully @Jaypaul is able to let us know if he found a solution as I've now replaced the sensor and had it pressure tested which all came back ok. So I suspect a wiring issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
Sandy, A response from Jaypaul is unlikely because upon checking he is no longer listed as an active member. (The Search function will clarify that).

In referring back to your original post you mentioned that the vehicle 'slows down'. You have not mentioned any diagnostic codes. I would suggest you get these checked out because slowing down is often a cause associated with ABS sensors. A defect in an ABS sensor or a defective reluctor ring will trigger a speed reduction as a stability safety measure.

Come back with diagnostic codes. Make sure the diagnostic tool is fully capable of all GM deep codes or the ABS may well not be detected.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hi Ed.
I've got a 2.2l 2013 Captiva as well and have the exact same problem you mentioned. Oil pressure sensor light coming on at operating temperature and at speed. Intermittent but slows the car down when it comes on.

Did you work out the problem? I am about to buy a new pressure sensor but wanted to see if you had any suggestions.
Cheers also from Australia
It’s most likely lack of maintenance but the rule is if your oil light comes on while you’re driving you should stop and investigate. Some cars use one of the warning lights to indicate a fault other than what you might think it is because they can’t have a dedicated light for every fault that might occur. If a warning light has come on, then a fault code has been set (either in the ECU or BCM or ABS module or whatever the control module is). If you don’t have the right diagnostic equipment you might not see any fault codes so you need to get the right tools for diagnosis.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s most likely lack of maintenance but the rule is if your oil light comes on while you’re driving you should stop and investigate. Some cars use one of the warning lights to indicate a fault other than what you might think it is because they can’t have a dedicated light for every fault that might occur. If a warning light has come on, then a fault code has been set (either in the ECU or BCM or ABS module or whatever the control module is). If you don’t have the right diagnostic equipment you might not see any fault codes so you need to get the right tools for diagnosis.
Hi Sandy, Hi Victor,
Sandy just one question how is the level on the dipstick lets say first thing in the morning before the engine is started, i know you would have checked oil level but an OverFull crankcase can cause the crankshaft to come in contact with the oil in the sump which in turn slaps into the oil and causes Frothing of the oil, an engine oil pump can not pump aerated oil very well, the owners manual for some of these cars state EG/IE (Oil Capacity 5.8 litres), but i know in my Captiva with Oil Drained, New Filter Element it takes a fraction under 5 litres of oil, when they document saying Oil Capacity 5.8 liters, this is normally totally dry engine, Lurchy

·
Super Moderator
7,390 Posts
Sandy, Victor has mentioned 'lack of maintenance' and it is indeed sometimes the cause. It is possible that you may have an incorrect grade of engine oil, or that the oil has become contaminated with fuel (we know nothing about your vehicle other than its year) but it is possible that your DPF (assuming it is a diesel model?) has allowed fuel to enter the sump and totally alter the engine oil viscosity. When was your engine oil last serviced and what grade?

Lurchy is quite correct with his oil level reminder. Even the dealers couldnt get this correct. The Series 1 Captiva had a larger sump capacity of 6.2 litres, where as the Series 2 is 5.6 litres. My dealer got this wrong and after researching, the on line dealer data starts with the Series 1. The data for Series 2 was further down the screen which they didnt scroll down to, hence many a Series 2 has been incorrectly filled by the dealers. Aerated oil does not adequately lubricate the bearings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts