Chevrolet Owners Club banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hi Sandy, Hi Victor,
Sandy just one question how is the level on the dipstick lets say first thing in the morning before the engine is started, i know you would have checked oil level but an OverFull crankcase can cause the crankshaft to come in contact with the oil in the sump which in turn slaps into the oil and causes Frothing of the oil, an engine oil pump can not pump aerated oil very well, the owners manual for some of these cars state EG/IE (Oil Capacity 5.8 litres), but i know in my Captiva with Oil Drained, New Filter Element it takes a fraction under 5 litres of oil, when they document saying Oil Capacity 5.8 liters, this is normally totally dry engine, Lurchy
Hi Lurchy, how’s it hanging? I quite agree with you about aerated oil but any time I’ve changed my oil and filter I’ve found it takes about 5.4 litres and I’ve never had any problem. I don’t know whether it varied slightly with the Antara or the production years.

I always take off the oil filler cap and remove the dipstick then the filter (which releases about half a litre of old oil into the sump) before I remove the drain plug. I also leave mines draining for a long time (sometimes a couple of hours) because there’s a lot of oil in the pump galleries and the crankshaft balancer assembly. You can’t fill the filter with oil before you fit it because it sits inverted although you can soak the element in oil to help get the oil light out quicker.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts