Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013, Aveo LS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So everyone said don't buy it as you can't get the parts, or if you can they'll be expensive so obviously I took their advice..not!
So here I am a very happy and proud owner of a Chevolet Aveo LS 2013.
Why did I buy it?
Well because I had to get rid of my 23 year old Peugeot 106 1.1 Zest and looking at all the cars our there I didn't like what I saw, and then I saw the Chevolet and wow, loved it
So here I am saying hi to everyone and a little concerned about the lack of parts available...but hopefully joining the community will keep the car going for some years yet.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
VN, Welcome to the Forum.
The lack of parts for Chevrolet models is becoming increasingly difficult since Chevrolet closed all its dealerships and withdrew from UK/Europe in 2015.
There are no end of on-line 'parts suppliers' but it is not until you start filling in the model details etc that the message comes back 'sorry we cant locate that part right now'.

As you are new to the Forum the following link has some helpful Guidance. There are two things you need to do which somehow you missed in your Sign-Up;
(i) complete your world location (the Forum system believes you to be in the UK?) and (ii) to complete your vehicle details preferably in your Signature Footer because there is much more room there than the small lefthand data pane.

Safe & Happy motoring.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well, brave person, look at my fleet and you will see why maybe I would have chosen to keep the 106 ( I've also had multiple 405's, 406's, 206's, 207 loaners and 108 loaners and other 407's, and toured Europe in a 205).

T250/T255's are easier to find new bits for than T300's. If you plan on keeping it, give it a good look over, make sure the service stuff is up to date, and start planning for what you need before you need it to avoid a crisis.

·
Registered
2012 1.2 Aveo Hatch
6 Posts
There's only a very small handful of parts for the T300 that aren't available through independent dealers, you just have to look outside of the usual suppliers. Main dealer can supply 95 percent however at higher prices.

It's really not that bad. A lot of Corsa parts fit, and a lot of previous gen parts also fit.

Don't worry about it. The greatest expense you'll see is the exhaust, they are available from NOS OEM at around £300 for a full system, or around the same price for getting one made that will probably outlive the car.

Reactions: Metro1000

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
Potatotomatoth, I'm intrigued by your comment "Main dealer can supply 95 percent however at higher prices." .
Where are these 'Main Dealers' you refer to ??
Chevrolet withdrew and closed its main dealers in UK & Europe following their announcement in 2013 and closure in 2015.
Wherever these 'Main Dealers' are in the UK we need to know because something like 50% of posts on this Forum are now asking 'where can I get xyz' for my Chevrolet. Enlighten us please.

·
Registered
2012 1.2 Aveo Hatch
6 Posts
Potatotomatoth, I'm intrigued by your comment "Main dealer can supply 95 percent however at higher prices." .
Where are these 'Main Dealers' you refer to ??
Chevrolet withdrew and closed its main dealers in UK & Europe following their announcement in 2013 and closure in 2015.
Wherever these 'Main Dealers' are in the UK we need to know because something like 50% of posts on this Forum are now asking 'where can I get xyz' for my Chevrolet. Enlighten us please.
My area of business loosely relates to GM main dealers. Hence the history I have with GM motors both historically and on the drive.

Select vauxhall main dealers, specifically for the Aveo (as I don't own another model I can't say for them) still have access to parts. Management wise there is an approximate geographical area, and in this geographical area dealers are contractually obliged to house one outlet until around 2022, at least for the T300. Parts are available. Not all, as I've said, but parts are available.

After this date (I can't remember specifically the date) any NOS will be transferred to a sister company (not in the UK, rumour is Italy) and the system closed, inluding service. GM itself has tried to distance itself from these 'foreign made' GM imports.

A lot of the time parts that are listed as not held / not available in the UK are freely available in eastern and central European countries due to said contractual obligations. That's why you see so many available from abroad, for example the infamous exhaust for the T300/1. In this example the dealer was always supplied the original part from -build- not part of the parts support package. As this is supplied in one piece, it is not and never was financially viable even for main dealers to fit it as it would involve rear axle removal as during build the exhaust was fitted whilst the shell was on the conveyor. So, the part was instead removed from general availability and refusal given to third parties to produce their versions. Stock from build still exists, be it in the UK or most commonly abroad as that's where they were consigned to during the build phase. Hence anywhere the cars were imported to for registration, ie the UK and US (Sonic) got limited supplies from the outset which weren't even viable to fit without modification which wasn't allowed. Again, through contract. They did however get a different range of engines, contractually supported as we were in the UK, and time applicable, again the same as the UK.

Only today I have picked up a T300.1 handbrake cable (£38 for both sides, not too bad), casually unavailable from some places, along with some service parts. I have struggled once last year even with deeper access with front brake calipers, but this was due to crossover, again, with Italy / Lithuania and laziness on importing originally.

A lot of parts availability problems is down to laziness I find on here, not trying to be rude but it's the truth. Parts exist. It's just not as easy as walking into your local independent and that's enough for some people to stop looking and post on a forum.

That's really all I have to say on it, in order to protect my own commercial ties.

·
Registered
2011 CAPTIVA LT VCDI 2.2 D AWD, 2012 AVEO LT VCDI 1.3 D T300 (70KW 95HP LSF) FWD
22 Posts
My area of business loosely relates to GM main dealers. Hence the history I have with GM motors both historically and on the drive.

Select vauxhall main dealers, specifically for the Aveo (as I don't own another model I can't say for them) still have access to parts. Management wise there is an approximate geographical area, and in this geographical area dealers are contractually obliged to house one outlet until around 2022, at least for the T300. Parts are available. Not all, as I've said, but parts are available.

After this date (I can't remember specifically the date) any NOS will be transferred to a sister company (not in the UK, rumour is Italy) and the system closed, inluding service. GM itself has tried to distance itself from these 'foreign made' GM imports.

A lot of the time parts that are listed as not held / not available in the UK are freely available in eastern and central European countries due to said contractual obligations. That's why you see so many available from abroad, for example the infamous exhaust for the T300/1. In this example the dealer was always supplied the original part from -build- not part of the parts support package. As this is supplied in one piece, it is not and never was financially viable even for main dealers to fit it as it would involve rear axle removal as during build the exhaust was fitted whilst the shell was on the conveyor. So, the part was instead removed from general availability and refusal given to third parties to produce their versions. Stock from build still exists, be it in the UK or most commonly abroad as that's where they were consigned to during the build phase. Hence anywhere the cars were imported to for registration, ie the UK and US (Sonic) got limited supplies from the outset which weren't even viable to fit without modification which wasn't allowed. Again, through contract. They did however get a different range of engines, contractually supported as we were in the UK, and time applicable, again the same as the UK.

Only today I have picked up a T300.1 handbrake cable (£38 for both sides, not too bad), casually unavailable from some places, along with some service parts. I have struggled once last year even with deeper access with front brake calipers, but this was due to crossover, again, with Italy / Lithuania and laziness on importing originally.

A lot of parts availability problems is down to laziness I find on here, not trying to be rude but it's the truth. Parts exist. It's just not as easy as walking into your local independent and that's enough for some people to stop looking and post on a forum.

That's really all I have to say on it, in order to protect my own commercial ties.
It would appear that you are experienced and in the trade and so have insider knowledge of how things work. However many of us looking for parts aren't. Some of us will be lazy but again most aren't. I have tried the ex-Main Dealer route and they really really cannot be arsed. I have been put to apparently the only dealer in Scotland still dealing with Chevrolet and their parts department can't be bothered to pick up the phone or reply to messages left. I have sourced parts from the Corsa for my T300 (sump & engine/gearbox mount which we have modified to fit) and have had a replacement exhaust made by an independent. I am currently in discussion with Chevrolet/Vauxhall CS based in France and even allowing for the language barrier (mainly mine) they are proving next to useless. We're not experts but neither are we numpties and we understand that parts are going to be more difficult and expensive to get hold of.

In short it's not easy so it would be great if you could indicate which select dealers I and others can contact to order a part to be sent to us. Not asking for them to do the work just supply the part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts