Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone. I am looking for guidance from the experts in this forum.
I recently had issues with my DPF with code 84 coming up often, on my Orlando 2.0 131bhp. I got the DPF cleaned by a professional and he did a few tests to the car and confirmed that the reason is that the DPF sensor is faulty. As the company I used was mobile (came to my house) he couldn't get a new sensor to replace but he told me how easy it is to do it myself. All great there, the only problem is that I cannot find a new sensor. Does anyone know if there is any compatible sensors (from other cars) for my Orlando?
I really appreciate any guidance you can give me.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Your Chevrolet Service agent will be able to get one. Question is which sensor. I dont own an Orlando but I think there are two sensors , one pre DPF and one after. One of our technical wizards I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong. Sometimes sensors can be rejuvenated by removing and cleaning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Aussie Ed,
Thanks for your input. If I go to GoVauxhall they will charge me an arm and a leg for one.
The sensor is the one by the DPF which measures the pressure in the DPF and decides if regeneration is necessary.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Okay, so long as the technician has identified which sensor. I was under the impression there were two sensors ie before and after, from which the pressure differential between the two was calculated to decide if regen was necessary.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Contact this firm (You MUST give the engine code of your model) :-

<div ="bsi-bn" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: small; font-family: "Helvetica neue", Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif; color: rgb51, 51, 51;">RTG Automotive Ltd
<div ="bsi-cic" style="margin: 0px; padding: 5px 0px 0px; border: 0px; font-size: small; font-family: "Helvetica neue", Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif; color: rgb51, 51, 51;"><div ="bsi-c1 no-" style="margin: 0px 0px 10px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; : none; width: 435px;"><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">Brian Waring
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">Unit 1 North Star Business Park
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">Tuer Street
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">Leyland
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">Lancashire
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">PR25 3US
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">United Kingdom

<div id="bsi-ec" ="u-flL " style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; : left;"><a style="color: rgb6, 84, 186; display: inline-block; vertical-align: top; height: 18px; width: 14px; -: "https://ir.ebaystatic.com/pictures/aw/pics/viewitem/spr1VI.png"; -repeat: no-repeat; -: 0px -130px; outline: 0px; font-family: "Helvetica neue", Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;"></a>
<div id="e7" ="u-flL bsi-ci " style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 15px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; : left;"><div ="bscd" id="e6" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;"><div ="bsi-c2 bsic2-lft" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;"><div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">Phone:01772 395588
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">Email:[email protected]
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">

<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px;">

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Aussie Ed. Will do. I have also contacted other companies that sell GM parts and it seems that the have the compatible model. I will, update this thread after I replace the part. It may be useful for other owners with DPF issues.
Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interested to know if you were successful with the sensor replacement.
Mine is going into Limp mode with black smoke out the exhaust and code 84.DPF has been cleaned by our local garage but this still happens every 10 miles or so

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Black smoke can be a sign of sticking EGR valve. You dont give mileage but if very high mileage the DPF may be beyond its functional life (if that is the problem).
Edited by: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
11 Posts
50k miles.local garage has given up trying to sort it out.Has cleaned DPF,,EGR valve and fuel injectors..Have ordered a diagnostic tool and will have a look at the vehicle when it arrives.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
LT2011 said:
50k miles.local garage has given up trying to sort it out.Has cleaned DPF,,EGR valve and fuel injectors..Have ordered a diagnostic tool and will have a look at the vehicle when it arrives.

Always helpful to give full info at beginning. It now appears you can rule out DPF, EGR and injectors - depending of course on how they were 'cleaned'.

Unless you have ordered a diagnostic tool capable of reading all GM codes you may not be any the wiser. Come back to us once you have further codes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Code is P0101/$07E Mass or Volume AIr Flow A Circuit Range /Performance.
I disconnected the MAF electrically and the vehicle runs well.
I replaced the MAF with new Bosch part and the vehicle runs as before ie after a few miles it gives Code 84 with the service vehicle soon light illuminated.(The SVS light does not always illuminate)..The MIL light does NOT illuminate.
Recycling the ignition switch always resets the fault and the vehicle will perform normally for a few miles before the process starts again.
On two occasions while the vehicle was slowing down after code 84 appeared .the code suddenly cleared and normal power was restored.
Today I have driven the vehicle 50 odd miles with the MAF disconnected with no issues.I stopped 5 miles from home and reconnected the MAF and code 84 was triggered 3 times in the last 5 miles.
Any suggestions are most welcome

·
Registered
820 Posts
Disconnecting the MAF means the ECU reverts to a default setting; sometimes they don't run or run but won't idle or whatever but it doesn't really tell you anything.

Code 84 is only an indication of reduced engine power and you're in limp mode. The reason(s) why this happened will be stored as fault codes (DTCs) but you need the proper diagnostic equipment to investigate. Since you only get it after a motorway run it would seem it’s related to air flow / management through the engine at higher demand. It could be a number of things eg

EGR sticking or leaking, this could allow boost air to bypass the inlet system and leak into the exhaust.

Sticking vanes on your variable geometry turbo or faulty turbo actuator (believe yours is electronically controlled, not vacuum).

DPF fault eg gathering soot due to boost problem.

Turbo boost leak eg in any of the ducts and hoses between the turbo outlet, the intercooler and the throttle control valve.

Any of these could cause a fault code to be stored also at the tine the ECU sets the fault code it stores freeze frame data showing relevant information eg boost the ECU was demanding versus what was actually being delivered and other data from the various engine sensors, fuel flow, engine temp etc.

I’d suggest taking it somewhere like a Bosch approved test centre where people are dealing with this type of thing every day. They can test your turbo and they might have to pressure test the whole intake system to see if your boost sensor is reading correctly and check for any leaks. This might be your cheapest option in the long run, you can’t just buy parts and fit them to see if that cures it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Victor for the info.
I do have a code reader and the only code logged is P0101/$07E Mass or Volume air Flow A Circuit Range /Performance..Which initially pointed me to the MAF.I have also looked at the Freeze Frame data stored and dont see anything unusual

The fact that it runs well with out the MAF ,leads me to believe there is not a serious fault with the vehicle.
Not found any leaks yet and the EGR valve and DPF filter and fuel injectors have been cleaned.
Will keep looking

·
Registered
232 Posts
Are you 100% sure that it is the correct MAF and a genuine Bosh one. running with it disconnected is usually and indication taht the MAF is not doing it's job.

Live data should tell you what is going on , if you know the parameters of a good MAF.

EGR would sometime give similar codes but an addition EGR one as well.

Injector cleaner on a long run may help with the EGR,

Run with the MAF disconnected in the meantime.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Spyder,
The MAF is a genuine Bosch same as existing one.
I have run the vehicle on live data and have picked up the boost pressure is going to 26psi on occasions.
This i believe is too high and possibly pointing towards the turbo vanes sticking and not relieving the pressure build up
Still investigating ,but may lead to removing turbo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this is an old post but I thought I would share the outcome of eventually solving the the Code 84 and the going into LIMP mode..
The first issue was a very small split in the output hose from the intercooler.A new hose complete with the quick fit couplings cost £439 (GM part 95275281).Not an option so I managed to obtain just the rubber section from a seller in Poland for £99,
The second issue was the quick connector on the inlet hose on the intercooler.This was leaking slightly and would not lock into position securely.I managed to find a complete new hose (GM part 95437800) from www.genuinepartsearch.co.uk for £139.This hose also came with a upgraded quick connector using metal locking components instead of plastic as on the original hose.
The fitting of the hoses was another challenge and I had to remove the front bumper fasica completely to achieve.
The vehicle has been performing well since with no reoccurence of Code 84 or limp mode.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts