Chevrolet Owners Club banner

Orlando Squealing under moderate acceleration

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Victor 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2012 Orlando diesel LT VCDi, the 163bhp one. It's making a squealing noise when I accelerate. Sounds like some sort of belt slip but i'm not sure.

It started about 6 weeks ago after I had it serviced at Halfords. To start with it was a fast ticking noise under acceleration. About 5 weeks ago I noticed a burning oil smell, when I lifted the bonnet the engine looked oily, was sure it was clean before. I noticed the dip stick had popped out about 1 inch. The next morning I checked the oil and it was about 1cm above the max mark. I'm guessing Halfords put too much oil in and the pressure was too high and the dip stick popped out, oil had been spraying for about a week. So I took it back to Halfords and they took out some oil. But the fast ticking noise remained.

As of about 3 weeks ago the fast ticking has turned into a chirping and now it's a chirp that develops into a squeal. I took it back to Halfords, they said they put WD40 on some belts and pulleys (don't know which belts and pulleys) but made no difference. They said they were able to get to the turbo impeller and try to wiggle it but there was no excessive play. So they said wait until it gets worse.

Part if the problem in detecting where the noise is coming from is that it only happens when the engine is under a fair bit of load. For example accelerating up a gentle hill. It doesn't make the noise when revving stationary in neutral, and it doesn't make the noise under gentle acceleration whatever the speed is. Another point to add is that when the engine is cold the noise is not there, it only happens under moderate acceleration when up to temperature.

I don't think it's the turbo, if I accelerate gently I can hear the normal quiet whistle of the turbo well before any chirping/squealing starts. But then I'm no expert.

There is no power loss at all, it still pulls really well through all the rev range. No overheating, no fluid loss or oil loss, no funny smells.

I've attached an audio recording of the noise that I took on my phone. You need to turn the volume up a bit and listen carefully as it doesn't sound that loud. In real life it is a fair bit louder, not head-turning but maybe twice as loud. Unfortunately I had to rename the attached file as .pdf for the forum upload to work, it kept complaining when the file extension was .wma. If you rename the file to be .wma it will play the audio with windows media player or similar app.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Keith

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't hear anything with your audio file but noises in general are all but impossible to diagnose on the 'Net.
Assuming the noise is comiong from the front L/H side of the engine as you look into the engine bay then it's from the serpentine belt area. Have the belt tension released and see if the noise is still there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.