Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

New to posting on this forum but have found useful tips for maintaining my 55 reg 1.6 estate in the past.
However I may not be an owner for much longer.
The wife was out in the car yesterday when it came to a sudden stop on a roundabout. Recovered to the garage which does its servicing they investigate whats gone wrong.
It seems the cam belt tensioner failed and that all the valves have been destroyed. The garage has quoted a minimum of £1480.00 to repair it (as long as nothing else is wrong).
My pockets are no where near that deep.
So I don't know what to do.
Would I get much selling it as a non runner?
Apart from the engine problem the only other problem with it is a dislocated air vent! and its mileage is only 48,000.
Its a real bummer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the news is that a wonderful peice of plastic which acts to add diameter to a cambelt tensioner had "split" from its day job with a view to a trip to the bottom of the timing case which it acheived admirably. All 16 valves destroyed so we got "charlie" dragged home.
Its amazing the range of prices and services Ive been offered since requesting a new (used) engine via various websites.
Top of these was a place in essex which offered a rebuilt engine(fitted), service, valet and a two year warranty for an impressive £1590.00.
Ive had several other quotes but have opted for another engine, fitted and serviced for £800.00 (which I can just afford) and this includes a 70 mile recovery to get it to the garage.
So charlies off tommorow and should hopefully be back on the road soon.
...waits..

·
Registered
5 Posts
oh dear, how did you get on with new engine

my 1.6 06 plate estate 'blew up' last week and turned out had a hole in the radiator and this in turn blew the head gasket causing damage to the pistons along with other things. repair cost was 750 quid.... nightmare

is this a common problem with the lacettiI wonder ??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts