Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1.0 Spark plus which I bought new last November. Although I am very happy with the car in general I seem to have a paint problem. The car was only 4 months old when we noticed several chunks of paint missing on the bonnet, initially thought these were just paint chips, but the paint appears to be flaking off rather than just chipping like normal car paint work. WE took the car car back to the Vauxhall dealerwe bought from and they had it checked by there paint team who thought there may be a paint issue. However when they approached Chevy they hjust lloked at photos and said it is stone chips, despite contesting this with the dealer and the area manager actusllay looking at the car, they still say it is stone chips.
I would like to know if any other spark owners have had the same problem, since this started we have notice there aare chips out of most of the panels and the roof, its as if the paint has not hardened or the paint as not adhered to the primer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello..Regarding your paint issue.I have a Spark in Misty Lake colour and i have also have issue.When i bought the car brand new in Feb 2011..The car had chip marks on the front bumper,o/s front wing,when it was being sorted out in the Vauxhalls dealership ,i pickup the car and then saw 2 new chips on the o/s drivers door which was not there..Vauxhalls said a car door might have knock it (not happy) with dealer..Yes i think that the paint is very soft or very very thin,check inside the petrol flap mines looks like it rusting already, its due for the yearly check soon..I might trade the Spark in for the new AEVO shame i like the Spark..I hope this helps you.<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

Just a theory I have on this...

I think these paint issues have arisen since the new paint legislation was implementedapprox 2009.

Manufacturers and bodyshopshave been forced to switch water based paint for environmental reasons, which doesn't seem to be as robust as the traditional solvent based paints -of which can no longer be used.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree the paint isn't the best.

I bought our Spark at a year old, A 1.2 LS in black.

I noticed what looked like whit polish on the edge of the rear door. I rubbed it and the black paint actually came off on my finger. I touched it up with permanent marker.

I put it down to being thinner paint on the leading edge of the door - perhaps I was wrong......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,My colour is Ice teal and it is in perfect condition, has the same fine smooth texture felling as it had the first day i got it. Ive always been extra carefull with my colour. Its always been washed on hand with soft sponge with washers of the 'Auto Magic' brand, dryed up with cotton fabric. The first year the car was on the street, now its in close garage. No signs of rust or colour inperfection.....
The only problem i have is with the roof rails...although to be honnest there are gypsy in my local area and their kids smash things on cars and they been playing with the roof rail the seasaw/teeter game so the rails now are skined off...thats the reason the car is in garage...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts