Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone done this, have a new LTZ Auto and part of it (Central) is silver and this reflects badly in the windscreen day and night (reflection from street lamps) the black trim is fine.

I would like to get this trim painted in Matt Black to remove the issue.

Any ideas of cost to have it done or suitable spray paint that could be used would be helpful.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Are you having a laugh.... I'm assuming you refer to the "silver" parts that go down (either side) of the centre, alongside the radio.

If so, most captivas (all I think) have this, and this is the first ever complaint that it reflects in the windscreen....

They are only plastic, so there is no reason why you couldnt paint them, apart from it will look stupid (imo) and effect the re-sell value of your car...

But everyone to his own...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's mainly the silver trim directly on top of the dash, not the front stack , behind the storage pocket and the reflection is quite distracting, which is why nearly all modern cars use all black trim on top of the dash.

·
Registered
652 Posts
My apologies, I don't have a "new" Captiva, mine is the 2008 model, and the "silver" trim only goes down the side of the control panel, not along the top of the dash.

I didn't realise it was along the top of the dash in the new model. Just looked at a video of the new model and can now see what you mean.

However, I still think painting it will ruin the look and lustre of the car.

Also note, from another thread, you lease yours. In past experience of leasing companies, if you do paint it, it will cost you mega bucks when you return your car. They don't like you doing anything to the car, as they base their lease figures off the residual value. But that's your call...

·
Registered
68 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
it will cost you mega bucks when you return your car.
It wouldn't have to.
You could:

1) Buy another one of that piece of trim, paint it, fit it and keep the original to swap back when you get rid of the car.

or

2) Find an alternative to paint, e.g something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160710380085

(Or just cover the offending section with a strip of black electrical tape...)

Edited by: Gaston

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried it with polarising sunglasses the reflection is still quite bad as it is the large speaker type grill in the middle that is worse.

i think i will order another set of the top trim and get this sprayed to match the rest of the dash. I can always swap it back out when lease is up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
but why bother....
Mr Peaksman clearly feels it's worth bothering.
K.L.Richards said:
Dash mat....
Aye, don't knock it... Many years ago, I made one from an offcut of carpet, for a works van.

Not only was it stylish, hardwearing and delightfully fluffy, but one could also stroke it while sat in traffic. Win-win.

Let us know how you get on, Peaksman

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rang dealer, he is going to get me the price of the parts and then quote me for supply & painting, he estimated about 2 hours labour if i wanted it painting and fitting. so i'm guessing about £150 all in, which to me is worth it.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts

Hi Peaksman,
You and I both newbies. I have posted reply on Newbies forum but thought would respond direct also on the Captiva forum.

Glare from trim reflecting up onto windscreen is only 'moan' I have with my new Captiva LTZ.

Solution was to purchase roll of Rolsons Grip Matting (from Halfords) and cut small strip or patch, it will stay in place with out gluing. Try that until someone comes up with better idea and we can then use their solution if better. Would have thought the design boffins at GM would have worked this one out before production
!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Had this same problem with a 2007 Corsa. Talking to the mechanic, I found out that there had been so many complaints that Vauxhall would change the silver trim for matt black trim under warranty.

And they did.........!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Might be worth a try but doubt they would do it (perhaps a group complaint), also noticed the 'chrome' insert in the side vents reflect badly in the drivers side mirror as well, could just pop these out though.

The top trim pops out quite easily so i still think i will go for the matt painted option though as it looks neater.

There are non-reflective coatings for the windscreen however this is no good for captiva as the sat-nav aerial is under the top trim rather than roof mounted and it would affect signal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok new solution, suggested by a mechanic who had same issue on a different car.

Used a dark grey permanent marker pen and the reflection was not there after coating. Despite the name it can be removed using a whiteboard cleaner solution.

he suggested rather than the pen buy a tin of refill ink and paint it on for a neater finish.

As it can be removed will give it a try this weekend.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not sure this is going to give you what you want.

I have a 2008 LTX, so no silver on the top, it is black. I have never NEVER noticed the reflection, until you mentioned it. Had a long drive yesterday (8 hour round trip), and in the sun light, I could see the reflection of the "speaker" grill on the dash.

As I said, I have never noticed this until you drew my attention to it.

The point is, mine is black as its not the new trim. If this reflects, I fear you are going through a messy process and wont actually gain anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
K.L.Richards said:
Not sure this is going to give you what you want.

I have a 2008 LTX, so no silver on the top, it is black. I have never NEVER noticed the reflection, until you mentioned it. Had a long drive yesterday (8 hour round trip), and in the sun light, I could see the reflection of the "speaker" grill on the dash.

As I said, I have never noticed this until you drew my attention to it.

The point is, mine is black as its not the new trim. If this reflects, I fear you are going through a messy process and wont actually gain anything.

Maybe the plastic or coating used is reflective ?

Tried a black marker on a test section and still a reflection (but not as bad)
Tried a Matt dark grey marker from a hobby shop - result no reflection from that area (may be some but i cannot notice it when driving) also colour is very close to rest of dash so blends in.
Did the rest and only noticeable reflection now is from the light sensor which is too small to worry about. (made sure whiteboard fluid can remove it and it does)

As for the plastic chrome inserts (side air vents) reflecting in side mirrors, i have just removed these and put somewhere safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts