Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been tempted to buy an aftermarket kit from ebay for parking sensors. I wondered if anyone else had a go fitting them to their tizzy and what lessons were learned ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know how to get the front passenger speaker out of the dashboard. The manual I have assumes that all front speakers are in the doors but mine are in front of windscreen. I have decided to fit the sensors but need a cable run from front of vehicle to rear and the speaker cutout would provide access without the need to to drill close to windscreen.

I have removed the glove box (6 screws) and that reveals the underside of dashboard to some extent but such a tangle of metal and plastic in there that I cant see the speaker mounts.

Anyone taken their's out (without damage) ? If so please enlighten me as to the correct path ....

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
That's okay Mark - you can step down now. :) At least you found it.
With something like 10 years worth of posts the Advanced Search function is a very useful Tool of the Forum which is sadly not used sufficiently by Forum Members.
Your Search was also assisted by the sensible use by Jasta of giving the Topic a title which related to the Topic being discussed. It is when we get posts simply saying 'Help' that messes up any hope of the Topic being quickly identified.
As for your parking sensors I guess the success of these is careful positioning. Possibly the kit will give an indication of scan angle. It is a happy balance of finding the correct position on the rear 'curves' . Good Luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Final update:

Well managed to get the reversing sensors in. The kit comes as the complete package with central controller leading to sensors and display and it splices into the reversing light for power.

The hardest bit was getting a cable path from rear of vehicle to mount the display. With Jasta's advice on removing speaker cover i used that access for mounting display on front dash.

the bit of red tape on the top is to quieten the pizzo buzzer as it can be a bit deafening and there is no electronic volume control.

I took the glove box out to get reasonable access to underneath the dashboard (6 screws). I ran the cables down the passanger side of the car under the carpet. Still had the front seat out from doing the cigarette lighter replacement so made it much easier. Had to undo the one of the rear seat mounts to get out the boot side panel off.

everything tucked in neatly behind it (sticky pads were supplied to secure to bodywork) also the reversing light electrics are on that side of the vehicle with exterior access through a gromet on the underside.

found the reversing wire wiring was quite fragile my first attempt at a splice ended up cutting the wire so had to redo it without using a splicing block.

The sensors needed to be mounted 45-60 cm off the floor. The position of rear fog and reversing light meant I had to put it at 55 cm but all seems to work fine.

Cutting into the bumper was a bit nerve racking, had to be done slowly. There is also a (plastic) bumper re-enforcement line that has to be avoided which makes the margin for error quite minimal.

The sensors as supplied were coloured black so i cut holes in a box so that i could place them in to spray them a matching colour. Took 6 coats (of fine spray) to get the match up (30 mins between coats). The wiring for the sensors had to be stuck to the underside of the bumper (annoyingly these fixtures were not supplied) fortunately I had some b&q cable tie stickers that did the trick.

Whilst I had it all open I did lay some extra cables from front to rear of vehicle as getting access under the carpet was a real pain. I put in a cat 5 cable (just because its multi core) a 5 amp lighting cable (for heavy use) and coax (in case i install a rear camera. May not get used but if it does would take 2 hours off any job.

Hope the info is helpful to someone out there.....

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Cracking good job Mark.
Well described plus photos. This should encourage anyone thinking about doing the same thing.

Reactions: Metro1000

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree with Ed, helpful article well put together. When I put the camera in my Aveo, I took the route along the inner sill trim between it and the carpet, and tucked them under the trim, and used the same route for the power wires for the Sub.
I found that having a reversing camera, even on a small car was a great help when teaching my daughter to drive.
Curious to know if you have checked/calibrated these to see how accurate they are?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Metro,

part of the installation instructions guided you through testing the effectiveness of the sensors. I used a flattened box (to simulate a another car's bumper) as my knobbly knees arn't that wide. It was surprisingly accurate at showing the distance. it starts squeaking at 1 meter and get progressively faster the closer you get and goes full tone at 30 cm. There is no calibration per se, the instructions were explicit that the sensors had to be pointing out horizontally to work (so watch out for bumper curves).

The instructions also pointed out that this cannot be relied on 100%, as it uses sonar things that reflects the signal in a strange way (like cyclinders or wedge shapes) may not trigger the alarm. So make sure you take a look in the gap before you reverse.

Have been thinking about the camera as the tizzy rear view is not that great. There are some where you can replace number plate lights like this to save drilling holes in the bodywork. However then you need a front display and the only real space for that is replacing the radio with a double din unit that can support camera something like this. This can start getting rather expensive. Ironically i do have to replace the radio but have a unit on the shelf I am hoping just to slip in. I think if I was to go for it would need to get a display unit with gps and bluetooth for connecting android stuff and one of those ELM327 OBDII code readers so you could get onboard diagnostics as you drive. In reality I am just trying to keep motoring costs a low as possible (whilst maintaining safety) so will just stick with the cheap and cheerful.

ttfn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts