Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have read a number of reviews on the Orlando all of which have bad reports regarding the 1.8 petrol engine. Is this engine as bad as the reviews suggest ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes I had looked at the journalist written recommendations of the diesel in those places but was hoping how someone who has driven one for a while has actually found it in practice. The advantages of less things to go wrong long term and no dpf are definately a plus for me, its just if the power is so bad it is undrivable. Also the petrol is 6 groups lower on the insurance and does give good premium savings agains the diesel

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well I got my answer on the petrol as I test drove a low mileage but very shabby 1.8ltz and found the handling and road position good but the engine seemed ok from start but pull when moving was a bit weaker than I had hoped. The lack of 6 th gear made it seem quite laboured at 70mph so left me wondering how it would cope with 5 people full luggage and maybe a roof box!

I think the test drive has pushed me more to the 163 diesel now, I just need to test drive one of those to see if it is a revelation compared with the petrol. Hope fully the weeken miles will be enough to keep the dpf happy!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the 163 diesel orlando, it will blow you away, as well as anything else especially BMW drivers, don't know if its the Chevrolet badge, the Diesel badge on the bootbut that they don't see the meaning of the V in front, mine is an automatic and 0 - 60 in 9.7 secsand a diesel, its so much fun to drive. Its nice for a change to have an automatic which changes gear without you noticing has 6 gears or you can use it as manual. The car handles like a car even if it weighs a good part of 1.75 tonne, the brakes are very sharp and reverse system is good, only niggle is why a light don't come on over the driver when getting inor a pair of lights in the side pillars instead of the single one over the back seats and one in the boot area hopefully this will be rectified in the future.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi, any updates for comparing the diesel & petrol versions? It the petrol version really that bad? I'm not going to race BMW's just need a practical car to drive around town with occasional motorway journeys & use 7 seats rarely.

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Hi Ianlg8, I have a Captiva diesel and although not the model you are considering I have had no problems with the DPF regeneration. My only comment is that you seems to indicate more 'around town' type driving and this is not conducive to keeping the DPF clean on a diesel. There are a lot of previous posts in the Captiva forum on DPF which you may find useful in your considerations.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Aussie Ed said:
Hi Ianlg8,  I have a Captiva diesel and although not the model you are considering I have had no problems with the DPF regeneration. My only comment is that you seems to indicate more 'around town' type driving and this is not conducive to keeping the DPF clean on a diesel.  There are a lot of previous posts in the Captiva forum on DPF which you may find useful in your considerations. 
Hi Aussie Ed, yes I usually drive about 2.5 miles in the morning and 2.5 miles in the afternoon ( to and from work) so very short drive everyday and occassionally drive 20 miles to and from the shopping centre one a month. I like the orlando for its practicality. You can see that thechnically the petrol version should just suit me fine but i like an automatic for the wife to be able to drive as well. Plus i hear stories that the petrol version is a complete waste of time. Arghhhh!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts