Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening Folks, I've made a few observations over the past weeks, my interior dome light used to flicker, I replaced it, and now it doesn't! Also, on my heater dial LEDs some of them are a little dimmer than the others... but they are still lit. I fitted a new battery in Sept last year, there are No problems starting up at all and the battery does not drain quickly, are the dim leds inside just a potential bad connection, and was the interior light simply knackered? Is this a clue to an alternator fault or just paranoia?

Cheers folks

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's just paranoia. The illumination of both the instrument cluster, and the heater dial, is by means of tiny plugged in (tungsten) light bulbs (lamps to electricians), not LED's. I think from memory there are 4 on the heater dial. Mine has the rightmost one blown, on the fan speed selection, but it's a right faff to get the dial panel out so I've been living with it for a while now, with one of them out, it does indeed just look dim at the one end, as can be seen from the attached picture. The colouration of the lamps is by means of a tiny coloured silicone rubber sleeve slid over the lamp. Very easy to lose.
The faff isn't getting the panel out really, its just that the connecting cables for the air position and heat control are a bit short and need to be disconnected and reconnected to remove it and get to the lamps properly.
IMG_20200519_211740[1].jpg

The lamps have wire ends that contact the metal connectors, and given time, they corrode from damp air etc, and sometimes lose connection even if they are not blown. The same is true of the dome lamp switch and it's lamp connections. It's sadly also true of many of the connections on these cars, hence when mine comes out of storage ( It had its battery charged today and will be run and moved tomorrow) it will be given a once over with the contact cleaner.
On the plus side, those little lamps can last a very long time, those on my 1982 Metro (owned from new) are all still good, on the downside my brother had a Skoda Felicia that had a failed voltage regulator, and it blew every lamp that was on at the time, which was most of them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you metro for shedding some light. You know what its like, see a problem, google it - "Failing alternator" Makes you curious, I won't bother fixing the dials as it really doesn't bother me, chasing perfection with this car is pointless, Im just enjoying it as it is :) Doesnt hurt to ask the experts though!

thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts