Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help from the wisdom of this forum. My Captiva has started losing a lot of power steering fluid. Nothing I can see from the rack / gators, but found a leaking pipe in front of the radiators. It looks as though there would potentially have been a radiator for the power steering fluid and it has been replaced with a curved bit of pipe.

So my two questions 1) should there be a radiator there? and if so, 2) what would the impact of just replacing the pipe be? (I assuming increased wear on the rack).

First image shows a connection point just down and to the offside of the bonnet catch area

Second image shows the loop of pipe that is leaking and where it looks like a radiator may have once existed

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don’t have a power steering oil cooler fitted to my 2015 Antara but I see them listed in the parts catalogue and they have a couple of used ones on Ebay. GM Korea may have fitted them for certain models / markets, if you had the RPO codes for yours you could tell whether it was an option fitted at original build but I don’t think it would matter here in the UK with our moderate climate. There should be a shield fitted to the rack to guard against exhaust heat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don’t have a power steering oil cooler fitted to my 2015 Antara but I see them listed in the parts catalogue and they have a couple of used ones on Ebay. GM Korea may have fitted them for certain models / markets, if you had the RPO codes for yours you could tell whether it was an option fitted at original build but I don’t think it would matter here in the UK with our moderate climate. There should be a shield fitted to the rack to guard against exhaust heat.
Need a little help from the wisdom of this forum. My Captiva has started losing a lot of power steering fluid. Nothing I can see from the rack / gators, but found a leaking pipe in front of the radiators. It looks as though there would potentially have been a radiator for the power steering fluid and it has been replaced with a curved bit of pipe.

So my two questions 1) should there be a radiator there? and if so, 2) what would the impact of just replacing the pipe be? (I assuming increased wear on the rack).

First image shows a connection point just down and to the offside of the bonnet catch area View attachment 1558

Second image shows the loop of pipe that is leaking and where it looks like a radiator may have once existed
View attachment 1559
Hi, I`ve seen very few cars fitted with steering fluid radiators but I`ve repaired many with a metal loop such as yours, it`s a commom fault. If you can`t source a new loop, cut it off at both ends and replace it with a loop of rubber pipe. Works a treat and does the job. As Victor says, fine for our climate. Good luck, Howard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts