Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what power steering fluid the captiva takes?
I appear to have misplaced my manual & when I google it the only thing that comes up is the location of where to put the power steering fluid

·
Super Moderator
6,994 Posts
DOT 4

Helpful link:- http://cararac.com/brake_oil/chevrolet/captiva.html

It may originally been DOT 3 installed. This was superseded and indeed was a service recall to DOT4

THE ABOVE DATA IS INCORRECT. THIS DATA REFERS TO BRAKE FLUID - NOT POWER ASSISTED STEERING. SEE INFORMATION BELOW FOR CLARIFICATION.

Apologies
Ed

Edited by: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ed have you been on the Castlemain XXXX? You don't use brake fluid in power steering - it will destroy the pump. Automatic Transmission Fluid is the nearest but you're better to use proper power steering fluid. Don't know why the OP has difficulty finding it, most of the motor factors stock it.

·
Super Moderator
6,994 Posts
Victor , I grovel unreservedly. Quite right. Not an excuse but mind on other things. Dog is in his final days by the look of it. He had a really bad day today and I'm not concentrating. He was hospitalised all over weekend & monday. That awful one way trip might be near

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys, so normal power steering fluid then

Ed sorry to hear about your dog, fingers crossed he makes a recovery!

·
Super Moderator
6,994 Posts
Andy , apologies for misleading you. I'll add an addendum to my incorrect post for the record.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi
I own a 2013 cruze estate and the power steering fluid needs topping up could anyone tell me which fluid I need thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,994 Posts
Roadrunner, Your Owners Handbook will tell you - try page 298. It may even be defined on the top of the filler cap. (DOT4)
If Power steering fluid goes down you need to establish why and where. There may be some very minor drop as pads wear and brake cylinder moves slightly further but that should be very slight. If the drop in level is considerable you should check for possible brake cylinder seal failure or pads well worn down.

I see you are a long time member but not realised you can place your vehicle details in your Footer.

Helpful reading here:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum (open fully to read All)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi its the power steering fluid not the brake fluid?
The handbook and filler cap state dot 4 for brakes but not a mention on power steering fluid thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,994 Posts
RR, You are quite correct ........ I was having 'brain fog' !! My apologies.
Power steering fluid is indeed usually the same as automatic gear fluid. Dexron.
Steering fluid shouldnt go down unless there is a leak in the components. Check underneath.
Note: some Cruze variants have electronic steering and this is discussed in previous posts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
RR, You are quite correct ........ I was having 'brain fog' !! My apologies.
Power steering fluid is indeed usually the same as automatic gear fluid. Dexron.
Steering fluid shouldnt go down unless there is a leak in the components. Check underneath.
Note: some Cruze variants have electronic steering and this is discussed in previous posts.
Hi again could you tell me which fluid to use anyway thank you.

·
Super Moderator
6,994 Posts
I've corrected my earlier error and given you the GM preferred brand in post#14. What we dont know is whether you have owned from new, when did it last have power steering fluid replaced? If so what with - that service receipt should define what was used. It is best not to mix brands / grades and if the fluid is more than three years old you should totally bleed and refill the entire braking system - not just top up. You can look up the specification for your vehicle year which I'm believing to be a J308 build. To make sure, take your vehicle to your service dealer and get them to check and identify the colour of the existing fluid.
Firms like Opie Oils have an excellent product identifier ; https://www.opieoils.co.uk/products-for-your-vehicle.aspx;
as does Castrol CAR ENGINE OIL & FLUIDS FINDER | CASTROL UK & IRELAND
Note that most 'old' specifications for Dexron III has been superseded/upgraded to Dexron VI. Some sites might suggest MerconLV
Your shout.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I added autom transmission oil to my Captiva and also to my Nissan Primera. There are some specs to meet but newer fluids replaces older ones...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts