Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 08' LTX which I'm quite happy with. However there are some issues which are creaping up which I was unaware of at the time of purchase.

Already I've got it booked in for replacement ball joints on both sides. There is a knocking sound coming from the right front when you go over bumps. My nearest dealer told me that there was a service bulletin which came over covering the fault.

Then about two weeks ago I started to notice a slight vibration coming from the steering wheel when you turn the wheel at low speeds, typically 5-10 mph. This can sometimes also be felt in the clutch peddal as well although not as noticbly.

I have checked the power steering fluid level and that all seems normal.

Does anyone else have this or isit just how they are? I have 4 months left on the warranty and want to get it sorted sooner rather than later if it is indeed a fault. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have had problems with my power steering too my captiva is a 57 plate diesel with 30k on in and my steering started with the vibration you mention it then started to make what i can only describe as a droaning noise!. After a fight with my chevy dealer they replaced the power steering pump under warranty at the time they said it could be pump or the rack but it has not cured the problem and now my warranty has expired my advice would be to get the rack looked at !

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, they tried to say that it could be linked to the knocking which even I know isn't the case. I'm going to get them to look at it. I've been driving another car for so long I wanted to make sure that it isn't a normal thing for Captivas. Have you sorted your problem now or do you still have it?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still have problem im afraid the pump got replaced on the last day of the warranty and it seemed ok for a while then started again
its not as bad now tho it only seems to happen when im parking in tight spaces and going lock to lock quickly and its worse when the road is dry obviously less friction thru tyres ! I am actually in the motor trade i am a spray painter just for anyone reading this in need of repair or paint work in glasgow

·
Registered
5 Posts
Probably the problem do not come from the steering rack. The noise you hear is almost on the end of the steering stroke? Maybe more on the left?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Dont know if its me because have not been driving the captiva much lately but I too seem to be getting a groaning noise and a vibration when I turn the wheel at slow speeds or at standstill. I am sure it was not there before, have had carsin the pastthat gave a bit of a wine when at standstill and turned the wheeland a bit of a vibration when on full lock, but not like I am getting now. Have you too had any more developments or any body else noticed this slight groan and vibration coming through the steering wheel.???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts