Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I bought a 2011 Captiva in aug 2020. It had an oil leak to took it back and he said it was a pressure valve and repaired it. He said come back in November and they’ll do MOT for nothing. Car passed all fine.
Fast forward to today. I noticed oil again on the driveway. My mechanic has been out and said the car is missing a prop shaft and is a 2 whee drive when should be 4. It also has oil leaking from the gear box. There was an engine management light on and he said that was the turbo ‘something’ sensor....sorry I’m not mechanical minded at all.
I rang the garage I got the car from he says no way has he sold me the car like this and someone has stolen the prop shaft off it as he MOT it and it passed.
What do I do? I need the car repaired. The garage says we can come to some agreement if I take the car down next week. How much would all this work cost? Is it likely a prop shaft can be stolen? I’m a single parent and have no clue about cars.
can anyone advise please?

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Jo, My initial reaction is that I think you have been 'had'. Oil leak - pressure valve ! ? Oil leak from where is the question.
This model is known to have a 'questionable' front engine plate seal (expensive) as well as sump seal (reasonably straight forward).
This vehicle can be run as a 2 wheel drive and there are existing posts on the forum actually discussing removal of the prop shaft. There is not much likelihood of someone needing to steal the prop shaft so I suspect it was never there when you purchased it. This would not necessarily fail MOT.
Do you specifically need 4WD for rough terrain? What is the purpose of use for the vehicle? Shopping, school runs etc ??
Turbo 'something' means nothing.
Management light - what diagnostic codes are recorded. You need to obtain and explain which ones.
Totally impossible to know what we are discussing from your description unfortunately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou so much for your response. I do think I have been ‘had’
I don’t need the car to be a 4 wheel drive at all, I only drive locally.
I hate conflict but I know I’m going to have my work cut out trying to get the garage to help repair this as he disputes he sold the car like this but obviously he has done, hence he wanted me to go back 4 months after selling the car for a free MOT.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
I'm sorry I couldnt comment in a more constructive way but it raises the scope of always having a vehicle checked independently (AA/RAC typically).

In a somewhat different observation not directly related to your current situation you mention only driving locally. You dont tell us the specification of your model but as the majority of this model sold in the UK were diesel engine it prompts me to ask why you selected (probably) a diesel engine with a DFP requiring regular long'ish journeys to regenerate the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) .

As a new Forum Member the following link has helpful information:- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate your response and honesty. I should have got the car checked. This guy has brilliant reviews. I haven’t found one bad review and locally everyone speaks highly of him so I’m hoping he will be ok when I go to the garage.
I got the car because it’s large enough, pre lockdowns I use the car for camping and long weekends away with the kids. It suits us so well but now this issue has arose and I’m worried as I in know it’s going to be costly to me

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
In considerations of the reviews you mention I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it can be resolved amicably.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
CAPTIVA LTZ VCDI 2011 that is the model
Yes ... the DI confirms Diesel Injection. Is it Automatic or manual gearbox?

You'll see in the Helpful Guidance link previously that you can add the vehicle info and your World location (which you left blank on sign-up. The forum believes you to be UK but not where).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts