Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Why don't the front interior lights come on when I open the door?
They appear to be reading lights only..

2. Why does the front passenger not get an arm rest? She's not happy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Iain.

Oh dear, gripes already. Shame. Perhaps you fell into the same trap as me..........Bought an Orlando because it looks great???
Your comments re the interior lights and lack of passenger armrest can I think be easily answered, ie costcutting. It's a cheap car. I've no answer to the armrest issue, but in respect of the interior lights this was such a niggle with me, especially as the courtesy light is so dim & all but uselesss when you enter the car in the dark, that I replaced it with a 21watt bulb. The only problem there was the heat from the bulb & I had to drill a circular hole in the light lens to allow the heat to escape as the lens was showing signs of melting lol. (Don't say anything!!) However, what a difference! Amazing, but I agree it's still annoying that there are no automatic front courtesy lights. I think it's the first car I've ever owned in 40 odd years of driving which has this "feature". Be interested to hear of any future gripes then we can compare notes lol.(I've had my Orlando 3 months).
Cheers,
Bill.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes I miss the front light, the arm rests the back seats have them, the driver one I don't like but that is not just the Orlando.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too don't like the arm rest.. I'd probably use it on a long trip where i'm stuck in 6th with the cruise on.
I first thought it was because the interior was made for a left hand drive market but having viewed some pictures ofLHD cars they are the same.. Only the driver gets an arm rest.

Might retro fit one from the front room..

·
Registered
35 Posts
The armrest tends to get in the way I find. I think the Captiva centre box/armrest is probably more user friendly & practical.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are there any auto electricians out there.

Would it be possible to run a wire (above the headlining)from the rear courtesy lights to the front reading lights in order to turn them into courtesy lights?

Sounds too simple, there must be a reason why I shouldn't do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Gaston, thats an incredibly helpful link..Much better idea than mine in that they have introduced two LED's as courtesy lights thus retaining the ability to use the originals as reading spots.. Think i'll be paying a visit to the local maplin's for some wire and LED lights.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No worries Iain - let us know how you get on?

When I get the time, I intend to do this mod on my Captiva.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I feel that I've fallen at the first hurdle..

I've got my LED's, wire etc. and am more than happy with the task ahead.

I've dismantled the the rear courtesy light assembly down to its basic parts but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the main body from the roof.

Haven't even tried the front assembly yet.

Any one got any suggestions, previous knowledge or knows a chevrolet engineer who could advise.

·
Registered
997 Posts
If it's the same as the Captiva, you need to prise the lens out of the rear housing, front edge first, then remove the 2 screws that hold the unit to the roof. The unit is a tight fit into the headlining and has 4 spring clips, 2 at the front, 2 at the rear which need to be depressed with a flat blade to allow the unit to be removed.

At the front, open the sunglass holder and remove the 2 screws in there, then prise out the lamp lens and remove the 2 screws in there also. Again, there are spring clips holding the unit into the head lining on the sides and he rear- the front has some prongs with fit into a gap in the metal surround fitted into the headlining. Unclip the wiring for the lamps and the alarm sensors and hey presto!.

When wiring the leds to the courtesy light in the rear, it is the red and grey wires which need to be connected up, not the red wire which is the live feed. If the orlando is like the Captiva, the wiring is very short and needs a bit of manipulation to expose enough to connect to, particularly if you are using scotch locks, as I did.

It's not difficult to do- I did this on my Captiva in about an hour from start to finish. It does make a difference, but in hindsightI would have fitted 2 leds per side at the front rather than one, to give a better light. in fact, I might go back and do that at another time.

Hope this helps!

Iain

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Iain, the Orlando is slightly different to the captiva but your post is still very helpful. I shall report back accordingly.

Iain

·
Registered
210 Posts
Iain, how did you get one with this? Only had my Orlando 36-hours and the interior light is a minor niggle I'd like to resolve asap!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Better late than never.
As Bigiainw stated in his post it was an easy job. Once the rear light assembly was out (with a bit of wiggling) it was very straight forward.

A couple of 5mm holes drilled carefully into thereading light reflectors, hot glue some LED's from the rear, a quick wire up and replace all the bits and it has transformed the interior visability in the dark.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is on my list of things to do! It's shocking that there is no front illumination in the Orlando!

I'm looking at buying an interior light unit from an Insignia, and then seeing about wiring it up so you get the front illumination when the doors are opened.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts