Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I park anywhere and remove the ignition key and then open the door the radio switches off, if I leave my wife in the car she can't then listen to the radio.Is there any way of turning the radio on (or making it stay on)with the key out. On any other car I've owned you can turn the radio on without the key and it then switches off after an hour.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Classic.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shedon't trust me with her broomstick why should I trust her with keys!............I WAS hoping for a serious reply.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Serious reply... No.

I have had different cars by different manufactures and I know what you mean. However, I have had many Vauxhalls and they all work the same way as the Chevy..... But now you mention it, not sure about my wifes Corsa

Personally I dont see the problem, if you are leaving the car for a short period, ie, to pay for petrol for instance and someone is in the car, then leave the keys....

You will also notice that if you leave the car without the keys is for a little longer the doors will lock themselves and the alarm is activitated. Your wife moves and she'll have a thumping headache

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I wonder what the thinking was behind the decision to switch off radios.My wife has a serious visual impairment andfor safety reasonsI don't like to lock her in the car and for the same reason don't want to leave the keys in either. The central locking switch is on the drivers door whereas on my last couple of cars it was in the centre where she could reach it. The car only re-locks itself if it has been unlocked but the door not opened. If it locked as you said I would have to unlock it in my garage every morning where I never lock it.
She'll have to learn to sing.
Oh, and no, Corsas don't switch themselves off........well the one I had didn't.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Birdrock said:
My wife has a serious visual impairment andfor safety reasonsI don't like to lock her in the car and for the same reason don't want to leave the keys in either.

Birdrock, you have a point there... I hadn't thought of eventualities like that.

I dare say that it could be re-wired so that it took its power direct and not through the ignition circuit, but unsure how difficult a job that would be or how costly.

It seems that most (if no all) the Captiva's electrics go through this circuit that when a door is opened it stops, as many times (a bug bare of mine...but really petty), when I switch the ignition off and fold in my door mirrors, someone opens a door and it stops the mirrors folding. I then have to turn on the ignition again, press the mirror fold button which opens them and press again to refold. I'm sure the kids and my wife do it to annoy me...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I took always on power from the 12V socket that is under the rear drinks holder draw thing in the center console. Ran a cable back up to the front and into the glove box where I could put in phone chargers etc. That 12V socket is always on and you can pop it out without reaching for tools, then really the only tricky bit is getting the front dash trim bits off to get the radio out. I would say that you could just replace the ignition circuit radio connection with your new cable from the 12V and it would be on all the time. Put a switch on the cable and that would sort you out.

Local car audio place would probably be able to do it for you relatively cheaply.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Will check later today but sure you can turn back on without key in ignition (needs a long 1 second press on the power button) also just turn off the internal alarm sensor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I've just tried the holding the power button in but that doesn't work, not on mine anyway. I will see if I can get the radio wired permanently live.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts