Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this has already been covered in another string - I did do a few searches in case but have only found the following by mrsB1987 as a possible connection:

http://www.chevroletownersclub.co.uk/forum/help-captiva-breaking-down-everyday-power-loss_topic5797.html#.WgBhTO9l-Uk

The Car:
<ul>[*]61 Plate Captiva[*]2.2 Diesel[*]LT[*]35k on the clock[/list]

The Problem:
Sudden and intermittent loss of power when driving. No position of the accelerator pedal has any effect. The engine doesn't stall - it happily ticks over while the car coasts and slows down.

At some point (10 seconds, 30 seconds, 5 minutes later - take your pick or add your own), the revs return and the car drives as usual... Until the next time (10 seconds, 30 seconds, 5 minutes later - take your pick or add your own).

Thought process:
It seems like the interaction between my right foot and the inlet of more/less fuel is not happening. I initially thought it could include:
<ul>[*]Faulty sensor on wireless accelerator pedal[*]Glow plugs[*]Filtration[*]Throttle body[*]DPF[/list]

Took it to the garage and it showed no fault codes on diagnostics. The problem did happen while the engineers were test driving so at least im not nuts but nothing showed up on diagnostics before, during or after the event(s).

Chevrolet have no suggestions other than there is apparently a software update available which will be done this Thursday and MAY show some error codes.

Looking throughout the forum - I'm at a bit of a loss as it could be any or all of the above and seemingly a costly exercise to change each one out and see.

Suffice to say the car is pretty much useless until I can sort it as its a bad lottery on any drive.

Read a lot about both the Throttle body and also DPF

We recently had a DPF warning light come up and this was rectified by the garage (I believe a new one was fitted but would need to check).

Any thoughts and suggestions very welcome - I'm not shy of a socket set by any stretch so happy to trail things.

Could it be just a case of using some better diesel and some DPF cleaner?

Cheers all

·
Super Moderator
6,628 Posts
Mondas, Mrs B never responded back as to what was the cause but as her vehicle had run out of fuel in the period leading up to the problem I believe it was associated with that. Hers would run happily at low throttle but became problematic under load.

My thoughts are for you to start with simple inexpensive items.The fuel filters may be clogged up. ie allows enough fuel for light load but will not allow sufficient flow when under load or rapid throttle pedal. Relatively easy to access and replacement filters readily available. If you tackle this exercise usual hazard / safety safeguards with fuel.

Did you purchase from a reputable dealer? If so do you have a Warranty period?
You say the DPF was replaced (??) Doubtful because this is a costly exercise. They probably did a forced regeneration at best. I believe in your intro (Newbie) you mentioned purchasing for your wife. Is this just for around town, school runs etc? If so be aware the DPF will be a regular issue, although I'm not convinced if has anything to do with the loss of power you report.

You also mention a software update. From this I'm interpreting this being supplied by a Vauxhall or Chevrolet appointed service agent with correct equipment? You dont tell us in your profile where you are located (sometimes helpful for those forum members who can advise locally).
You can double check vehicle history by registering(free) on www.mychevrolet.eu&nbsp; then enter your vin.

Report back on what fault codes are identified (if any).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No such fuel issue for us - Its never run out during our ownership history. It has run low which i guess could introduce bottom of the barrell stuff. Its also run on supermarket juice.

I was thinking filters as a start and will have a look into it

I was also thinking if there may be a way to measure the change in, I presume, voltage across the accelerator pedal - it may give me an insight into a failing component?

Purchased from a local independent dealer but as reputable for the area as you can get (35+ years and never a bad word heard) - has an extended AA warranty but my experience is that its only useful when the issue has been diagnosed and can be proven to fall within one of their super loop-holed categories.

Definitely a 'tootle' car at the moment (yes we bought a 4x4 to 'nip' to and from the shops - but then see our neighbors faces when we can go and buy bread on that one day of minor dodgy snow - mw ha ha ha!) and so DPF was always something I was ready to see flagged up all the time. Good point on the change out - believe it was cleaned not changed.

Software update suggestion came from Chevy dealer and would be done by same said dealer.

What seems strange is that the fault is random (to suggest electrical) and has the Revs drop completely down to a nice happy idle - as if i was sat on the drive de-misting my windows. Movement of pedal has no effect at all on the revs until it suddenly goes back to normal.

Will advise on anything that turns up on software update/fault codes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
A failing crank sensor or sticky EGR would give similar symptoms, both would however throw up fault codes as well as bringing the spanner light on.

I have plugged mine (2010 mode) into my opcom and it shows the pedal position quite clearly, so will be easy to ID on a test drive with a suitable OBD reader attached.

·
Super Moderator
6,628 Posts
Mondas said:
Software update suggestion came from Chevy dealer and would be done by same said dealer.
Okay; as mentioned previously you can double check what customer satisfaction recalls and obligatory recalls are outstanding on the vehicle by checking on the mychevrolet link I gave in previous post.
This may assist you in appearing 'knowledgeable' when the Chevrolet dealer says xyz!

·
Super Moderator
6,628 Posts
Mondas, a week on have you had any success in resolving the problem or at least a meaningful diagnostic check result?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All,

A few weeks have gone by and several things have been trialed by my local garage (disconnecting this, bypassing that, cleaning this etc). Software update was also done by Chevrolet...

All to no avail I'm afraid :(

There's still nothing to suggest what could be causing the issue - despite it happening to all who have 'tested' it. No error codes are being flagged up and so there's nothing to suggest what (if anything) needs swapping out or repairing.

Chevrolet have offered little in the way of troubleshooting beyond a diagnostic scan following a software update - seems if there's no code then all is well.

Currently at the rather frustrating stage of having a car that simply cannot be driven by anyone for fear of it loosing power.

I can look at systematically changing out the components that 'could' be linked with this issue but how far does one go and where does one start?

Am at a bit of an impasse with this now as it seems like i have a mystery incurable issue and the only saving grace is that others have witnessed it too.

Only clues I can add are:
1. It seems to only do it after the car has warmed up i.e. can drive fine for 15 mins or so from a cold start.
2. When it does do it, there is apparently a faint whining noise to be heard (I haven't witnessed this so cant describe it any better).

It's all a bit frustrating really.

·
Super Moderator
6,628 Posts
Mondas, With your comment about being okay when cold but becomes troublesome once warm, has anyone checked the function of the incoming air temperature sensor and the MAF (mass Airflow sensor)? We are assuming that there is no problem with the air filter ie no obstruction.Also, as it is a relatively easy and inexpensive item have you had the fuel filters replaced? I'm still wondering if obstruction of fuel flow is the cause. As initial flow is used and cannot be replenished quickly enough it may starve the engine. Whining sound might be fuel pump desperately trying to make up delivery.

Tip: as we are now nearing a new page can I suggest that you put your vehicle details in your 'Footer' (signature box on set up) because this data will be 'lost' on back pages. If included in footer it will automatically appear under every post you make which helps readers identify the vehicle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a problem very similiar to yours , the accelerater pedal was the problem so got one off eBay very cheap it was easy to fit and it's been fine now for over 9 months .

·
Super Moderator
6,628 Posts
Mondas, I've been thinking more about your 'clues' where you said :-<div style="font-size: 14px;">

<div style="font-size: 14px;">Only clues I can add are:
<div style="font-size: 14px;">1. It seems to only do it after the car has warmed up i.e. can drive fine for 15 mins or so from a cold start.
<div style="font-size: 14px;">2. When it does do it, there is apparently a faint whining noise to be heard (I haven't witnessed this so cant describe it any better).

<div style="font-size: 14px;">

<div style="font-size: 14px;">There has to be a clue here - "After the vehicle has warmed up! ...... there was a post about three years ago which was eventually identified as the air intake hosing collapsing as it became warm and pliable and 'sucked in' on itself restricting air flow.

<div style="font-size: 14px;">This collapsing hose may then vibrate (like a 'reed' in a musical instrument) and vibrate creating a type of whine.

<div style="font-size: 14px;">I'm simply trying to put another thinking cap on and apply possibilities.

·
Registered
232 Posts
themink said:
I had a problem very similiar to yours , the accelerater pedal was the problem so got one off eBay very cheap it was easy to fit and it's been fine now for over 9 months .

That would have brought up very specific fault code one would think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FIXED!!

And the reason....

Ironically exactly as described byAussie Ed

This is the first chance I've had to post an update and low and behold there's a response that, had i have spotted it sooner, mimicked what my mechanic found. Picked up the car on Sunday

<ul>[*]Air intake hose was collapsing when slowing down to a junction or roundabout etc.[*]Only happening when warm as by this stage hose was super soft.[*]Pulling a vacuum and restricting the system while also whistling.[/list]

I have the removed hose and its so soft that even the mildest pressure of my finger shows up as a prominent lump on the inner bore. I can even restrict 98% of the capacity just by squeezing it with one hand...

Chevvy wanted £275 for a kit that contained a new offending item. Decided to go the performance part route and use a 3rd party hose from Sparco. Cheaper and more likely not to repeat the issue.

Driving around for 3 days now and not a hint of an issue.

My thanks to everyone who has suggested and hinted to things to look at - this one was a noodle baker.

Nice one Aussie Ed by the way - Had this not have been spotted while I wasn't visiting the forum, I would have definitely looked down that route - when spotted the concept is so simple - but spotting it is an absolute challenge.

·
Super Moderator
6,628 Posts
Good to hear of the solution.

·
Registered
693 Posts
great shout Ed!

Mondas.....report back in a week or so
How much was the hose by the way? (just to compare against the £275)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ah yes I have just bought a captiva 2ltr diesel AWD ltz had it 3 days and experienced it twice already. drove the car from 180 miles away from me back home sat on the motorway doing 70 got 45mpg not a fault at all. The following day i did a short journey about 4 or 5 miles into it I noticed the car started losing power till eventually no turbo boost at all, I pulled over turned the engine off gave it 10 seconds and started it up and as if nothing happened back to normal, there was no lights on the dashboard. It happened the following day too again about 5 miles into the journey started to lose power going on a slight uphill it wouldn't of made it up the hill,I stopped turned it off waited 10 seconds and yes back to normal as if nothing happened,again no lights came on neither was there any fault codes when put on a diagnostic test. As I only just bought it and there was no evidence of cam belt change I had it done along with a full service, yes all filters changed and new fluids hoping this would help but knowing my look its gonna take more investigating. I will keep you posted to what happens, watch this space!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,628 Posts
Nomad, Good man for using the 'search' function and looking up possibilities and avoiding unnecessary duplication.Other possibility might be partial fuel starvation from a clogged up fuel filter, so if there is no record of it being changed in the service history, that may well be worth considering.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello all,

Just had the same issue. Bought the car a month ago. Went twice very high up in the mountains, very steep roads - the car accelerates and passes other cars with no issues. Then two days i was driving in the city with very low fuel. Today when i drove back from a place in the city the engine check light turned on. No power. The car barely moved. Stopped. Turned off the engine. Started it again. No lights on the dash. Everything is as if nothing happened. Please tell me it is not the automatic gearbox...

·
Super Moderator
6,628 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Diagnostics is on Friday. What about until then? I am too anxious. What are the odds to be the transmission?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts