Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Ladies and Gents i just wanted to find out what range you are getting from a full tank,
Mine has dropped in the 6 years from 500 miles to now 414 miles in 2.2 LTZ Auto
what are you all getting ???

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
LN, There are umpteen posts on this Topic under numerous existing Topics. Rather than start yet another stand alone Topic title you could have added to one of the existing MPG discussions.
The following posts covering several years may be helpful reading: Search results for query: MPG

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just had a quick look Ed and most of them are from 2012/3 as the cars have got older, let see what has changed

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
LN, Deteriorations in economy are usually a combination of lots of little factors.
Some loss of compression on cylinders both on bore and rings, injector wear, fuel quality or change of brand, possible slight binding on brakes, old air filter, different tyres (possibly) and/or incorrect tyre pressures, loss of efficiency on EGR (coking up with oiled carbon deposits is a strong contender). Change of journey route ie more or less traffic lights, open road etc. Carrying extra cargo or passengers. Use (or not) of Economy mode. Incorrect engine oil can be a key factor. I would change my engine oil every 4.500-5,000 miles.
I've looked up my fuel & consumption over the 7+ years of my ownership and mpg was pretty consistent on town only use (23-25mpg) , and open road use (28-33mpg). Head winds ie driving west to south west was always lower than the same route back SW to NE. Just easing back by 5mph on motorway/dual made a noticeable difference.
Best thing is to ensure you have the vehicle regularly serviced.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My MPG has pretty much stayed the same but its the range when you fill the tank up that has changed, i have had 4 new injectors, fuel pump stripped and cleaned alsong with all the lines and filters, and the EGR rebuilt.
thought it might go up a bit but lose 85 miles on a tank i thought was strange and wanted to know if any one else had the same issues.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Strange. Something doesnt seem to correlate. If a fill-up doesnt give same range then surely the mpg must have altered or you've got a minute leakage?

Edit: just had a thought. Check that your fuel filters are fitted soundly and not leaking slightly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
"mpg was pretty consistent on town only use (23-25mpg) , and open road use (28-33mpg)."

Mine is very similar to yours! ( should be a bit better for being a manual). I have seen posts here claiming 36 to 39MPG in which I found too good to be true!

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
LN, Whilst you've made reference to 'Range', have you kept a record of receipts & miles and then calculated actual MPG when you next fill up. i have kept the seven years worth of records (from new) and it was always a quick way of being warned of 'something amiss' if there was a sudden shift in mpg.

I've gone back to your comment about range and you were getting (being informed by the DIC) of 500 miles. I'm making an assumption that you were making this statement by the onboard indicated 'range'. This of course has long been hogwash and had previous criticism many years ago as misleading and irregular by equipment which didnt operate correctly (or was suspected to be suitably 'modified' to make the vehicle appear to have better MPG than it actually did).
A Tank full is about 56 litres (12.3 UK gallons) when on empty with dregs in the bottom. Your 500 miles to a tank full would have to equate to an average of 41-42 mpg !! Erm......unlikely.
Your now stated 414, is actually more like reality of a very decent 33.6 mpg . I think that possibly you have been mislead by believing the electronic projection.

I can only suggest that you keep your receipts and write mileage on them. You can then do actual calculations between fill-ups over a period of time and different use.

Maybe you can post again in a few weeks and tell us what your MPG actually is averaging out to be.

Reactions: gcmarcal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haha it cost me £65 to fill up my 2.0d auto lt, and i am lucky to see 300-340miles per tank.......makes me consider selling it....just dont know if i would get my money back!

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Haha it cost me £65 to fill up my 2.0d auto lt, and i am lucky to see 300-340miles per tank.......makes me consider selling it....just dont know if i would get my money back!
Phil, although you've not stated your MPG nor your typical daily commute (ie Town or open road) I estimate this to be typically 27-28 mpg which might be representative of your use and the service age of the vehicle.
As for 'getting your money back' there are not many vehicles which command a value growth on resale and I guess you know that. You have to ask yourself why you bought it - for its load capacity for work or family numbers.
If it meets the need then there is a trade off you have to accept.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Phil, although you've not stated your MPG nor your typical daily commute (ie Town or open road) I estimate this to be typically 27-28 mpg which might be representative of your use and the service age of the vehicle.
As for 'getting your money back' there are not many vehicles which command a value growth on resale and I guess you know that. You have to ask yourself why you bought it - for its load capacity for work or family numbers.
If it meets the need then there is a trade off you have to accept.
Hey Ed,

My daily commute is around 15 miles each way, 60% of it on motorway.

As for resale, if you remember i have already had to chase dpf issues and sensor replacement, now i am looking at heater issues (aircon wont hold charge) and the joys of needing to replace rear brakes and discs (just found a lovely deep gouge in one side of disc) and got 5 months till dreaded MOT........just dont know wether i can afford to keep chasing the problems or if its best to just be rid of it. Meh.....if i do repair it i will do some more vids 🤣🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Hey Ed,

My daily commute is around 15 miles each way, 60% of it on motorway.

As for resale, if you remember i have already had to chase dpf issues and sensor replacement, now i am looking at heater issues (aircon wont hold charge) and the joys of needing to replace rear brakes and discs (just found a lovely deep gouge in one side of disc) and got 5 months till dreaded MOT........just dont know wether i can afford to keep chasing the problems or if its best to just be rid of it. Meh.....if i do repair it i will do some more vids 🤣🤣🤣

Hi Phil, Yes I recall your early concerns about DPF etc . Disappointed to hear you now have AirCon and upcoming brake difficulties.
The getting rid of option will only end up with another second hand vehicle with 'unknown' issues.
Tough call.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Something very odd is going on with Lord Nelson's flagship if you ask me. How can the MPG stay the same but the range vary? simple answer is that it cannot, one or the other is incorrect. All modern cars use the float gauge in the tank to know when the car has been filled up, and by how much. The running consumption and range are computed from the volumes of fuel injected, not by reference to the float. I know for certain that French cars never use the float gauge between fill ups to work out how much is left, it is all done by calculation. It is fairly obvious that filling the tank full, every time, will give the most consistent results, because the system "full point" is calibrated properly each time. Anecdotally, I've owned my 407 from new, and it has always been filled this way, and has only ever had me as the driver, and the computed figures are very accurate when checked the old way, and have stayed at exactly 38 mpg over 117,000 miles, "high and heavy" trips excluded.

These facts were brought home to me when my daughter had her 208 converted to LPG, the fitter (same man who did my Aveo), forgot to turn on fuel level emulation in the software while he was commissioning it. He had opted to fit a more sophisticated controller at no extra cost that gets around the emulation problem that is well known on these cars. Essentially, even when running on gas, the car thinks it is injecting petrol, and both the range, and the petrol gauge keep falling until it is "empty". At this point, the gas controller sends signals over CANBUS to the ECU that force it "look" at the float gauge and correct the petrol gauge (the range remains nonsense). She set off with a half tank of petrol, and subsequently "ran out" because the emulator was off, she added petrol, and thus convinced the car to carry on, but at this point the gauge showed entirely erroneous figures, back home, I hooked it up to the software, turned the emulation on, and all was well, we later joked that it was an "Air Transat flight 236 moment".

Reactions: ches
1 - 13 of 13 Posts