Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Spark 2007, 0.8
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sparky 2007.

Just failed MOT as licence plate, reverse and rear fog light are not working. Checked fuses, engine compartment ef11 and ef12 and f8 and f10 on inside fuse box. Did I miss something regarding fuses, relays?

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
The main thing you 'missed' was not thoroughly visually checking the essentials before submitting for inspection - Why? ! No excuse really. :(
Your vehicle is 15 years old so there is a good chance that you have a corroded connector block (somewhere) or the earth link for these locations is corroded.

·
Registered
Spark 2007, 0.8
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have to know a friend looked yesterday and said all was working so I would appreciate constructive comments.

·
Super Moderator
7,918 Posts
My remarks were constructive given the explanation of your original post. Considering your reply there are three possibilities (i) you are either being 'cheated' by your Test Engineer, or (ii) there is a good chance that you have a corroded connector block (somewhere) or the earth link for these locations is corroded and making intermittent contact, (iii) that your checking of fuses described in post #1 has possibly repositioned a loose or corroded contact on one of the fuses.

·
Registered
322 Posts
HI mrmrua if you or your friend have a multimeter it will possible to check each of the failed lights for power and ground continuity.
You describe your vehicle as a "Sparky" built around 2007 with a 0.8lt engine. It is likely your vehicle is very similar to one called "Matiz" that was sold in UK. If this is the case you will be able to download wiring details provided by another forum member. Ed will be able to assist with download information. Good luck.

·
Registered
T250 2dr. 1.2 lpg
510 Posts
Why rely on a friend? The lights you describe can just be turned on, and YOU walk around the car to check their function. At a push, a friend (or a shop window) might be needed to check the brake lights. Think about aircraft. The pilot or the first officer do a walkaround each time the plane is due to take off, they never ask the baggage handlers if the plane "looks OK".
Ed's tone may sound a little harsh, but with good reason. In the UK, if a car fails MOT, you may well be charged a re-test fee of up to half the cost of the test- perhaps up to £25, so those of us with older cars often check all the obvious stuff before we even take it for a test, lights, wipers, windscreen condition, driveshaft boots, etc.
There is also another purely anecdotal point. Those who don't check and maintain the simple cheap items on a car, rarely bother with the more difficult, expensive, and safety critical items either. By arriving for an MOT test with a car showing obvious faults, you are advertising your general lack of care.
More constructively, Jasta has good advice. Invest in a cheap multimeter to enable you to test the lamps (bulbs) for continuity, the bulb holders for supply, and the fuses insitu, and remember that rarely do fuses blow for no reason, although they can, and do, corrode from the inside in damp countries such as the UK.

Reactions: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi again mrmrva. Just had a look at fuse arrangement for M200 Matiz with RHD [right hand drive]. It looks like the fuse details for your vehicle and a Matiz are very similar and suggest the download mentioned will assist you to sort this upset.
Around 2007 it looks like the M200/M250 vehicle from Chevrolet could be named "Spark" or "Matiz" depending on the market area. When the M200/M250 vehicles were discontinued around 2010 the name "Spark" was given to a new generation of vehicles known as "M300 Spark".

·
Registered
Spark 2007, 0.8
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello all, Spark and Matiz are possibly just different names for some markets for M200-250. Over here we have 7 days to retake MOT without any expenses. I took it to electrician and it turned out to be blown fuse (seems I was checking wrong ones as could not quite conclude which one is used for my non working lights) and burnt licence plate bulbs. I do take care of my vehicles but this one annoys me quite a bit so I must admit I do have some ressistance towards it.

Additionally I was told my right arm has too much play in it so had to teplace it as well. Bolt that goes through rubber bush was frozen solid in it and was told that is a common problem No shop would work on that or I had to wait to long so with a help of a friend we managed to cut bolt head and then hammer it out. Real pain of a job and I hope no one has to deal with that :)

Anyhow, MOT passed now. Thanks all who replied

1 - 8 of 8 Posts