Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear wash/wipe on my 2010 LTZ is always slow to wash - it is a couple of wipes at least before the wash wets the screen. I suspect it is due to the water draining back when not in use, as the pump runs instantly. Should there be a foot valve (non return valve) to stop this, and if so where is it hidden?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not certain on the Captiva but they are usually under the tank incorporated with the pump or next to it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Same happens with mine- not a big issue for me though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The tank is situated in front of the front near side wheel, I believe you get to it under the nearside head light unit. So work as if you where replacing a head light bulb to do that the light unit is removed,you then should get access to the tank and pumps.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The easiest way to gain access to the tank is to remove the offside front wheel and then take the plastic arch liner out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys for all your comments on how to get at the wash tank - butwould I be lookingfor an itemthat isn't there?
Being a lazy git, I hate taking things apart without getting a result!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Have had a look at a manual showing pipe work runs and replacement, no signs or any mention of one way valves. the tank is accessed as bigiainw said via the wheel arch, and the pumps are in recesses in the tank on the face opposite to the filler tube,and removed by prising upwards with a flat blade. one of the pumps spigots just pushes into a hole in the tank and is sealed by an O ring, the other port from the pump has the pipe to the jets on it. There is no signs of any one way valves so I would presumethey areall part and parcel of the pump. No guarantees that's best I can do for you.

·
Registered
997 Posts
jegrugby said:
Thanks Guys for all your comments on how to get at the wash tank - butwould I be lookingfor an itemthat isn't there?
Being a lazy git, I hate taking things apart without getting a result!!
Seeing as your car is nearly new, have you spoken to the dealer?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Bigianw.
Have spoken to the area sales manager who sold me the vehicle, and he says "mine does exactly the same" - he has the LTZ Auto. On other topics he has said "book it in, get it fixed", so he is not anti problem.

There used to be inline nrv's available for screenwash systems, I might see what Halfords have in stock, and fit one in an accessible place.

My Vectra estate delayed the wipe start when washing the rear screen, so that most likely did not have a non return valve. Strange.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved. Bought a non return valve from Halfords (£2.30) and some 3/16 in dia washer pipe. Under the bonnet, the rear windscreen washer pipe has a joint where it runs along the bulkhead before diving down out of sight. Pull this joint apart and fit the non return valve to the existing pipe and reconnect to the original joint using 2 inches of the bought washer pipe. Job done and no cutting of existing pipework. The wash now hits the screen before the wiper wipes.
Snags? Just one - you can only buy pipe in 8 foot lengths from Halfords, so I have 7ft 10in left. If anyone else wants to do this mod, give me your address and I will send you the 2 inches of pipe needed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
<table ="tableBorder" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3" style="text-align: left; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-right-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-bottom-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-left-color: rgb204, 204, 204; : rgb255, 255, 255; width: 907px; table-layout: fixed; "><t><tr ="tableLedger" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-weight: bold; : rgb211, 218, 237; line-height: 22px; -: http://www.chevroletownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum_s/default_toolbar_.gif; "><td>Message</td></tr><tr ="msgableTop" style=": rgb251, 251, 253; font-size: 11px; "><td valign="top">Topic: Rear Screen Wash Late Start
Posted: Yesterday at 9:02pm By jegrugby</td></tr><tr ="msgableRow" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; : rgb251, 251, 253; height: 150px; min-height: 150px; "><td valign="top" ="msgLineDevider" style="border-top-style: solid; border-right-style: solid; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-bottom-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-left-color: rgb225, 227, 236; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-top-width: 1px; "><div ="msg" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; width: 899px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; : left; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; ">Problem solved. Bought a non return valve from Halfords (£2.30) and some 3/16 in dia washer pipe. Under the bonnet, the rear windscreen washer pipe has a joint where it runs along the bulkhead before diving down out of sight. Pull this joint apart and fit the non return valve to the existing pipe and reconnect to the original joint using 2 inches of the bought washer pipe. Job done and no cutting of existing pipework.
<div ="msg" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; width: 899px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; : left; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; ">

<div ="msg" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; width: 899px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; : left; overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: auto; ">The wash now hits the screen before the wiper wipes.Snags? Just one - you can only buy pipe in 8 foot lengths from Halfords, so I have 7ft 10in left. If anyone else wants to do this mod, give me your address and I will send you the 2 inches of pipe needed

Thanks for the solution, my LTZ Auto is the same, so I will do this mod.

Cheers

</td></tr></t></table>

·
Registered
997 Posts
Cheers Jegrugby, can i have some pipe? PM sent!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did the Mod today in under two mins thanks, great idea. I also have a huge amount of pipe left, give me a shout if you need some.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts