Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Any one else had trouble getting the rear wheel of after a puncture?
Before any one askes....Yes I have taken all of the studs off, and yes it was jacked up!

I basically kicked the bugger many many times and it just refused to come of the hub!
Is there some thing I don't know about Captiva rear wheels?

I know it sounds like a bloody stupid question but I have never had this with a wheel on any vehicle before. My main concern is damaging the rim, only to be told by some one that Captivas have some quirk to get the wheels off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like it could be seized to the hub. This happened to an MG we had once, I think at least 2 if not all the wheels were stuck fast. It was under warranty with the dealer so it was their problem.

Have you tried spraying a load of WD40 on it? If not Im sure a garage/tyre fitter will be able to get it off once on a ramp, they must see it a lot.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi had same problem with all four of my wheels I am a big bloke and they would not budge even after taking a lump hammer to them. finally got them off using a five foot crow bar, you have to be careful not to bend or damage anything I bruised the lacquer finish on the wheels and had to touch them up. After getting them off found the problem had been electrolysis between the twodissimilar metals of the hub and wheels causing them tobond together with the corrosion , had to give them both a clean up and smear the touching parts with a little copper slip when putting the wheels back on, been fine since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys
Thanks for replying, I gave everything a good soaking in WD40, and got out my rubber mallet!
After about an hour of bashing the wheel and soaking WD40 it finally "popped" off.

Very weird how hard the bugger was welded on to the hub!

Once again thanks for taking the time to reply!

Elliott

·
Registered
652 Posts
Noticed when I had my 4 tyres changes recently, the fitters kicking my wheels to losen them. Thought then they must be stuck on, but they managed to get them off little bother. Suppose its their experience, bet I would have had a different outcome :(

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've had exactly the same issue with my wheels. I coat the back of the hub of the wheel in copaslip and that seems to help. If they get stuck, I usually lie on my back and kick the crap out of either side of the wheel until it frees off. Not so handy at the side of a motorway in the dary though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same thing first time I tried to changed ours from winter to summer tires. They were stuck solid to the hubs. Ended up using a block of wood and a bloody big hammer. Ever since then I put a bit silicone wax on the hub to stop it sticking (the wax is usually for stopping the door seals from freezing together). It seems to work fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I couldn't shift my wheels either. My solution - drip penetrating oil (not WD40 - you don't want to get that on the disc/brakes) onto the joint between wheel and hub;leave it an hour; make a cup of tea and pour the remaining boiling water over the wheel as close as possible to the hub. Differential heating of the two metals (alloy and steel) cracked the joint and a hefty clout with a two foot length of scaffolding tubing (ONLY ON THE TYRE THO) did the trick. Not much use if you are stuck by the side of the road though. Winter tip - check that your spare is removable and inflated. I hadn't checked mine for 18 months but I'm glad I did. I needed the WD40 to get it off the carand it was only at half the recommended pressure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having just fitted mud flaps I havenow found out what you are all talking about.....my wheels were stuck fast. Idiscovered that a bloody great lump hammer on the inside of the tyre budged it but I'm glad that I found out now and not by the side of the road somewhere! Copperslip is on my shopping list for tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Save yourself the exercise!! <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Boil a kettle and pour the boiling water over the hub (through the gap in the alloys).

Worked every time with me.

Trust me it works.

I have replaced x2 link stabilizers and a wheel bearing in the last year.

Not a good method for breakdowns though as it might be hard to find a kettle if you get a flat at the side of the road!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts