recommendation? Thanks""¦.

Also there are times that I can hear/feel a slight
knocking sound (thud) on the front wheel when I ran from a full stop.. but this
is not happening always there are times that I wont feel/hear that sound""¦ can
someone help me please""¦ thank you very much""¦

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Hi Chevro24, Welcome to the forum.Re the washer/wiper; have you by any chance dislodged an earth connection while changing the headlamp bulb, or second possibility that a nearby earth connection bolt/screw has become a bit rusted to chassis. Poor earth on wiring looms can cause problems. Third option is to check the relay box in addition to the fuse.Re noise on front wheel; could be number of possibles but first I would jack it up and check the bearing for slack/wear.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Make sure the rear door and rear window are closing correctly if they are not it stops the washer and wiper working, especially if you have lost both at the same time.
Slightrumbling or knocking from the front end could be the anti roll drop links are worn, a very common fault on Captivas. Cheap to buy and easy to fit just two nuts, Google, drop links to see what they look like, very similar on most cars, jack car up put full lock on identify link grab hold of it and with some force pull backwards and forwards and watch for movement there should be none at all at top or bottom joints where the small rubber gaiters are, its usually the nearside which goes first because of pot holes but check both sides. Failing that get a garage to check all other joints, suspension and motion.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Big Al said:
Make sure the rear door and rear window are closing correctly if they are not it stops the washer and wiper working, especially if you have lost both at the same time.

Slightrumbling or knocking from the front end could be the anti roll drop links are worn, a very common fault on Captivas. Cheap to buy and easy to fit just two nuts, Google, drop links to see what they look like, very similar on most cars, jack car up put full lock on identify link grab hold of it and with some force pull backwards and forwards and watch for movement there should be none at all at top or bottom joints where the small rubber gaiters are, its usually the nearside which goes first because of pot holes but check both sides. Failing that get a garage to check all other joints, suspension and motion.

Aklmost certain that Al is right. I replaced mine twice in 40K miles. Easy fix, not expensive and well worth it for the silence!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi chevro24. I don't know if you posted the same thing under the ' dashboard like an Xmas tree ' post, under the name chalkers. You both have the same problem...wiper noise and knocking noise. anyway, i posted a reply to that as well.
But basically my car started with the same intermittent noise as yours... Knocking noise from the wheel when car in motion @20+ mph, noise sped up as car went faster, slowed down as car slowed down, worse when turning left, but then noise eventually became continuous, and the problem became a lot louder! Mine was diagnosed as the o/s/f wheel bearing. Had the unit replaced £276 inc vat... Problem solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts