Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Im about to perform and oil change.
all lubricant advisors i check on the manufacturers CASTROL.COM WORLDWIDE Mobil1, Valvo line states 0w-30 only which is a bit odd usually several options are possible 0-30, 5-30, 5-40.
So last time i bought 0-30 and used that without any problems.
When i email Chevrolet dealer for recommended oil the state 5-30 that what they also used according to the documentation when they did the previous oil changes.

What should be used here?
if 5-30 ill go for gms 5-30
Dont really know the difference between dexsos 1 and dexos 2, dexsos 2 is cheaper.

Does it really matter if a use 0-30 or 5-30?
Castrol, valvloline and so on would not state 0-30 if its the wrong oil, just gives me a wonder why 5-30 is not listed.

·
Super Moderator
7,292 Posts
Over recent years there has been an acute awareness by vehicle manufacturers to 'squeeze' every last mile/km out of their vehicles for sales marketing reasons.
The 'thinner' oils ie Zero - tends to do this. However the trade off can be slightly more regular topping up.
The other side of the coin is that on older vehicles with higher mileage (which you dont state) and more wear, tend to maintain less oil use by the slightly 'thicker' oil.
For your County location (more northerly) and winter not too far away (heaven forbid) then the 0-30 would usually provide easier start.
Your owners Handbook should have the grades listed towards the back tech section.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I belive it states 0 and 5 ill go for the 5-30 since its been used before and its a good price.
My Captiva has 128000 km on i, i usually change the oil around 15000 km intervall.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil was brought out to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition that was happening with the GM's turbo-charged engines eg the 1.4T where they had the engine output around 150bhp and if owners slammed the throttle open at low speed while in a higher gear it could result in catastrophic damage through pre-ignition. Fords were suffering similar with their Ecotec engines.

I was a Duckhams 20w-50 dino fluid fan back in the old days but that was with push rod engines, no VVTi or hydraulic tappets like modern engines. Synthetic oils are a different ball game all together. I don't think you'll do any harm with your choice of 5w-30 oil, is that your choice for All Seasons?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When it was left to Chevy dealer they have used 5-30 for the last two oil change i have used 0-30.
I will but this one for my now upcoming oil change Original GM Dexos2 5W-30 5L since price is decent.

·
Registered
2007 holden captiva max 3.2
3 Posts
Hi.

Im about to perform and oil change.
all lubricant advisors i check on the manufacturers CASTROL.COM WORLDWIDE Mobil1, Valvo line states 0w-30 only which is a bit odd usually several options are possible 0-30, 5-30, 5-40.
So last time i bought 0-30 and used that without any problems.
When i email Chevrolet dealer for recommended oil the state 5-30 that what they also used according to the documentation when they did the previous oil changes.

What should be used here?
if 5-30 ill go for gms 5-30
Dont really know the difference between dexsos 1 and dexos 2, dexsos 2 is cheaper.

Does it really matter if a use 0-30 or 5-30?
Castrol, valvloline and so on would not state 0-30 if its the wrong oil, just gives me a wonder why 5-30 is not listed.
Screenshot_20210725-054841_Chrome.jpg

I'm using this in my capitva in Australia. Expensive but better for the engine.
Take care.

·
Super Moderator
7,292 Posts
in Australia. Expensive but better for the engine.
Take care.

Sorry Mick4444 But I dont agree. You say "better for the Engine" . Please explain where you obtained this advice / explanation.

A 14 year old engine (2007) wasnt built with the tolerances which apply now to modern engines capable of using 0-16.
The data you attached actually makes reference to LATER YEAR (more recently designed/built) engines.
I've checked the Mobil engine oil selector and no where can I find 0-16 oil recommended by Mobil for your year/model build.
There is the possibility/probability that you will encourage component failure.

A technical report says :-

"Oil that’s too thin can fail to develop a consistent lubricating film, inviting metal-to-metal contact that causes wear.
Extreme stress and heat add to the challenge. Since oil thins as it’s heated, the already-too-thin oil becomes even thinner under extreme heat, worsening the problem.

Oil that’s too thin can also lead to insufficient oil pressure to properly operate your vehicle’s variable valve timing system, if equipped. Low pressure may also result in lifters not staying in contact with cams, causing noise and increased wear."

The Engine oil used should be within close tolerance to the engine manufacturers recommendations which correspond with the design build tolerances of the year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts