Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed patches of redish brown oily fluid on the drive as I pulledoffthis morning.

OH has been under the car and says it looks like its coming from, ......and its hard to explain but, like its coming fromwhatever is above the plastic coverjust behind the wheel arm/axle.

Can anyone help?

(Its a 57 auto diesel 2ltr ).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Power steering fluid? check the level, and be very careful if you drive it, best to go to your dealer or trusted indie! but might be clutch fluid, best to get checked professionally!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.......may sound a daft question but where do I check the power steering fluid?...and is it the same kind of thing as checking the oil?
I have it booked in for tomorrow, will I be ok to drive it there safely ?

Is it a big job ie costly!

seems to be costing a fortune at the mo :-(

·
Registered
68 Posts
garyndawn said:
where do I check the power steering fluid?
The reservoir is under the bonnet - clear plastic bottle-type thing with a steering-wheel symbol on the cap. 'Max' and 'Min' levels are marked on the side.

On mine it's behind and slightly to the left of the battery, as you look from the front of the car - mine's an '08 2.0 diesel, so I expect yours is the same.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gaston, thats a great help...will get OH out when football finishes of course!, do you know where we check the transmission fluid, would like him to check that too :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
From the colour of the fluid it's difficult to say what it might be, but I'm guessing power steering... as for cost, it depends where the leak is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi you were indeed correct. It was the power steering fluid leaking. I will post the pic that my garage found when my daughter gets home (i dont know how to do it!)... the pipes were so corroded that it had cracked. He says that he has never seen this in a car so young.

Says the pipes have been put so near the front that the water hits its continuously and has caused the damage. He has repaired it by putting some rubber tubing in its place.

Do feel like a guinea pig with all thats going to go wrong with this early edition but cant afford to change. :-(

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Garyndawn, Glad it was a reasonably simple 'fix'; you do seem to have had a bad run of luck with your vehicle. I dont want to sound negative but with the degree of corrosion detected would it be wise to have other 'vulnerable' pipes, tubes, hoses checked (especially brake lines) to ensure they are sound, or has your dealer checked those out as a precaution. Could have been road salt corrosion.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes but still wouldnt expect that in a car this young surely???

(Neither should the turbo have gone either on such a low mileage!)
Now I've found this garage (not a main dealer, been stung and shuned by them ), we will just have to go as the car faults! :-(

·
Registered
380 Posts
I expect your car is out of warranty, but it would probably be worth informing chevrolet as a courtesy, and if your car has been fully serviced ask for a "gesture", certainly write and inform Honest john in the telegraph motoring forums and put the same information on there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts