Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please tell me how often the DPF regenerates itself, my car had only done about 120 miles from new when it did it. Does driving style and short journeys come into it?

·
Registered
476 Posts
The DPF tries to passive regenerate to burn off the soot particles by the DPF getting its self hot by a good run with a bit of hard driving with a few revs. The active regeneration comes into play when the soot particles build because of a lot of starting and stopping the engine a lot especially in cold weather with short runs, leaving it ticking over for periods, stop and start town driving, driving steady and trying to be economical with fuel. So yes driving style and short journeys plays a big part in the DPF having to active regenerate its self by burning diesel in the DPF till it gets hot enough to burn off the soot particles

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Al, I do drive with a very light foot. My last was a Mazda Cx 7 2.3 Turbo petrol which averaged 23 mpg. On one run with the Captiva the computer informed me that I was getting 49 mpgwhich is amazing. I only hope that the computer is fairly accurate!

·
Registered
214 Posts
would this be the reason for my very poor mpg (check my topic ) i have been doing lots of short journeys and sitting with it ticking over and trying to be very gentle on accel pedal is my 57 plate 2.0 diesel lt fitted with this dpf ? What ever that is
and would it sort itself with me driving it hard ?

·
Registered
997 Posts
The words accurate fuel computer and Chevrolet Captiva do not belong in the same sentence- I'd check it with the old fashioned brim to brim method, and be sitting down when you do!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Captivamondo regarding economy, steady purposeful acceleration, a few revs and a bit of speed helps passive regeneration and higher gears which is good, stop go and idling very bad. Drive meaningfully but don't push the juice through and try your MPG test. Should improve on youre 16mpg Hopefully 26-28 and just over thirty on a run with an auto.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks Al i will give it a go ! Also just another note do bmw of you guys use the ultimate / v power type diesel in your captiva ? I know its more expensive but just a thought

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey you clever lot, how do you know your motor is regenerating? I haven't noticed anything on my manual 2.0 diesel to tell me it is regenerating. I did get 49.5 mpg for 15 miles or so after filling up with fuel with the engine fully hot, but it started to drop after the next cold start.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The only thing I noticed is my tick over revs never alter always sat on 800 revs on the auto, after a short run I noticed my tick over went up and was holding at 1,000 revs, I suspect but can not be 100% sure that at that stage I was having a active regeneration. Watch out for it and see what you think, that's if your driving pattern requires active regeneration. [when this happened to me I drove round a bit longer the revs came back to normal, and hoped to have not stopped mid regeneration causing the oil contamination?].

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jegrugby

I have a dashboard warning light that comes on, when it regenerated at first I did not know what was wrong, my fuel consumtion went up and the amber light came on. I was quite relieved after reading the manual, and the light went out after a short drive. It is a pity that the poorly trained salesman did not tell me to look out for this.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Are you sure thatlight is not giving you the warning that the dpf is becoming blocked and to run the engine so it can ether active or passive re-generate???

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unsure, however the light has not come on again. I will be taking the car on a longer drive this weekend. - Back to the dealer to get a new front badge and key!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts