Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Not posted much lately as I have had little to say and done few miles in my Captiva. It ticked over 90k miles a little while back and is still thereabouts.

The main update is that car had become difficult to start and when it did so it felt like it was misifiring for 2 or 3 secs accompanied with lots of vibration (was quite embarrassing). I was concerned that this was a glow plug or injector issue but then I noticed that the Start/Stop was no longer working and wondered if the battery was on the way out. 2 nights ago it failed to start and I had to use a charger so I looked into a new battery...

Being start/stop my car had a Delkor AGM battery 95Ah CCA 900 in a 019 shape. The best value I found was a Hankook AGM battery with similar specs Hankook SA59520 AGM Starter Battery: Type 019 – Battery Megastore It arrived today (the driver dropped it...but was undamaged) and was a lot cheaper than the £400 GM wanted. Fitting took about 10 minutes - it is an exact size match - and the car fired up right away. I can only assume that the poor start was a combo cold glow plugs, low fuel pressure and slow cranking speed. Seems like the aftermarket has caught up with AGM batteries now anyway.

While I am here...

I have had to change the drop links AGAIN this time bought TRW so hopefully not made of cheese like the Borg and Beck ones were (lasted 10k)

Rear discs are looking quite grooved so I have bought a pagid axle set of discs/pads for just over £100 and will change those too shortly.

Only other issue is the rear wash wipe has stopped working again (hose presumably popped a joint somewhere)

Keep well and happy motoring everyone

Tim

·
Super Moderator
6,701 Posts
Hi Tim, Good to hear from you. Over all the Forum has been quiet probably because of reduced mileage by Members.
Good info on the battery for Stop Start application use.
The rear washer failure may well be a blown connector. Worth checking in the lower boot area for water as the rear connector is a known cause.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ed,

Hope you and yours are well. Our family really does not need 2 cars right now - the Captiva was barely used - this may have contributed to battery failure. Pleased to say that the start/stop works again (I try not to use it but I want to know it is working!) and cold start this morning was also like a dream.

The rear washer did indeed fail there before but I did try to tape the joint together. I might take a look at the weekend but it is not urgent.

Take care
Tim

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the discs and pads over the weekend.

Quite an easy job BUT clearance for one of the 15mm caliper bolts is too tight for a ratchet so I strongly recommend you have a 15mm ratchet ring spanner (or at the very least ring spanner) as mine were thread locked on pretty well.

Car now stops, starts and goes over bumps without clonking. Hoping for a few more miles yet. Engine and gearbox are still extremely sweet and strong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts