Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, our new Captiva LT is arriving in the first week of April and I have a few questions - I'm hoping you'll help me by sharing yourknowledge.
1) I've never had a new car before ever - not even a nearly new one. Can anyone tell me what I should do in its first few months/years of life that might be different from driving an older car? (for info, we are trading in a 17 year old Galaxy which should give you an indication of what a departure this is for us!)

2) Are there any specific problems or issues I might expect from my new Captiva that I should look out for?

3) I want to get a satnav fitted after we get the car - can anyone recommend a model that will fit and work well (and/or a suitable retailer to get it from). We almost ordered the LTZ just to get the satnav as I get lost a lot but the dealer messed us around so much that we opted for the LT in the end meaning we will save £3K and 16 weeks wait and get it in the colour we wanted (black).

4) Are the dealers trying to rip me off with the polishy thing they want to sell me for several hundred pounds ( Diamondbrite I think it is) - I suspect they are but would be happy with some confirmation!

thank you!
Melly

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hi Melly,

Last question first- yes it is a rip off. I had my Captiva done with the same stuff and it, like any other polish, wears off. It can also be bought for pennies on ebay- so if you must have it, buy it and do it yourself.

The old chestnut of running a new car in is just that. Provided you don't drive like a total maniac everything will be fine. It's a good thing to let turbocharged engines idle foe a minute before you switch them off if they've been driven hard. When running in, drive normally, accelerate and decelerate smoothly and you won't go far wrong.

Things to watch out for- short journeys all the time will make your DPF- diesel particulate filter soot up and then burn off the excess. Try to give it a good run at least once a week to be on the safe side. The same process can, over time, put diesel into the engine oil, so keep an eye on your oil level, particularly at the beginning so that you get used to what your engine does in terms of oil usage or the level going up.

As for sat nav, I would buy the best Tom tom you can afford, bearing in mind that it you don't go abroad with the car, you don't need anything other than the UK map. The built in nav on the LTZ is a bit of a love/hate item depending on who you speak to, so I think you have the best of both worlds there.

We're a friendly bunch, so feel free to ask anything else that comes up!

Happy motoring

Iain

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Iain, thanks very much for your answers

In terms of the DPF my usual commute is 17 miles of stop start through town and along a very congested part of the M62 - on agood day I occasionally get up to 60 mphor so for a couple of minutes. Will that be enough to keep the DPF happy do you think or will I need to give it a longer or faster run at the weekends as well?
thanks
Melly

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would be tempted to give it a run at the weekends too, but the most important bit is getting the engine up to full operating temperature, which 17 miles of stop-start willdefinitelydo. 50-60 mph should be good to so I suspect you might be okay there. Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Are you getting a 2.2, chevrolet say it is a much better engine?

On the subject of "hot running" to get the regeneration process going, selecting alower gear and keeping the revs higher will be as good in getting the engine temperatures up, anddo a 5000 mile oil change, you can get the bits from barry franklin at Cresser, or you can get the oil from opie, if you are a member of this forum you get a discount, and if you buy for 2 oil changes you'll get it post free. my dealer are happy for me to supply the oil.What actually concerns me is that have you got the right vehicle for your usage? but i assume that if you had a galaxy previously, you need that size of vehicle.

As Big ian said, check those oil levels frequently and happy motoring. personally i like the navman series of satnavs, but others have different choices. check to see if the subscription is for 1 year and how much updates cost!

Happy motoring,

Edited by: Oldroverboy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya, yes we are getting a 2.2. We need the captiva because we have 4 kids to transport around and although we don't use all 7 seats all that often there are times when we doneed them.

In terms of oil changes that's not something I've ever done and I gather from reading other posts on here that it can be a bit tricky on a Captiva- might be I'll have to ask Mr Mechanic up the road to help me out! We are getting an automatic - I don't know if that makes a difference?

Thanks both of you for the thoughts on satnavs - do you happen to know if you can get ones that look like part of the car rather than mobile ones you stick to your windscreen or that sit on a beanbag on the dash? I don't really want to mess around with plugging one in and taking it out - I'd like it there all the time.
Melly

·
Registered
153 Posts
Remember to get a VAT receipt if you get your car serviced by a non Chevrolet garage. Chevrolet will want proof that the car has been seviced to their specification!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts