Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow members.I own a 58 plate Chevrolet Captiva 2.0 LT and my reversing sensors have stopped working. When I reverse it gives 3 quick bleeps 3 times and and then stops.
I've tried the self diagnostic test by turning on the ignition and raising and lowering the handbrake 3 times. This makes the car bleep 4 times quickly and then nothing.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
just wanted to let you know that after months and months of the parking sensors not working and the light showing a fault on the dash...today they have just started working again and the light on the dash has gone off!!!
why??... is anyones guess.....confused...yes !

·
Registered
997 Posts
Most likely a faulty sensor if you have the light on the dash- the bleeps suggest its the drivers side outer. Best/only way to cure it in the long term is to replace the sensor. The sensors come ready painted, so it's a fairly easy DIY job.

Garyndawn, I had that happen to me too. The next time it stopped working, it stopped for good...
Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Big Iain,

thanks for all the info you have posted on the forum. I am particularly impressed with your DPF removal. That DPF light is a right pain.

could you just clarify the offside/nearsidedefinitionfor me?

From your other poston the handbrake diagnostic,"4 beeps from offside to nearside"

So

1 Beep = Offside = Driver side outer

4 Beeps = Nearside = Passenger side outer

So if sailorvet has 4 Beeps then it is his passenger side outer not driver side outer that is faulty or have I got my offside/nearside definitions mixed up?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
GMLT, Welcome to forum. Offside & Nearside - definition is simple. 'Offside' is side the driver sits (RH in UK); 'nearside' is nearest the kerb (LH in UK).

These parking sensors seem to be vulnerable to moisture/rain/spray getting into them. Extra bit of waterproof tape or silicone mastic on connections behind underneath rear bumper might be good idea?

·
Registered
997 Posts
GM_LT. other way around- on beep is passenger outer, 4 is driver outer.

Aussie Ed, I'm not sure how much help any external treatment would be, mine turned out to be an internal sensor fault. When i took it to bits and checked the connections, there was no waterm ingress visible at all. That said, extra protection won't hurt!Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I'm new to this.
My sensor light is on the dash, and when I reverse I get beeps (beep, beep beep) could anyone explain the self disgnostic check with the handbrake more fully as I seem to get quite a few beeps when I try it :)

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
Malta, I cant remember all the different option answers. There have been numerous posts under different headings about rear sensors. Try the 'search tab' for other posts and solutions.Probably the first thing is to 'test' the sensors to see if just one is the culprit.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Turn on ignition lights and pull hand break up and down 3 times within 10 seconds.
1 slow repeated beep (6 times) is no.1 (passenger side)
2 quick repeated beeps is second along.
3 quick repeated beeps is third.
4 quick repeated beeps is no.4 (drivers side)
That's how it works on my English right hand drive 58 plate Captiva LTX

To change one you have to remove the bumper. Quite easy to do.
Unscrew the 4 screws in each wheel arch with a 7mm socket. One is underneath and one is in a recess at the top.
Remove the 4 large black screw clips along under the bumper.
Unscrew the rear light clusters and remove the other plastic screw clips. One in each. Temporarily put the lights back.
Remove the 6 little screws around the opened boot hatch.
Carefully pull the bumper from the wheel arches to remove it from its clips.
Lay the bumper onto something to protect it.
To remove the faulty sensor unclip the wire and turn the plastic locking nut by turning it 90 degrees anticlockwise. Take note of the positions and the arrows on the locking ring. Makes it easier to put back.
Take care putting it back to get the plastic on the top side under the lighting clusters and the right side of the wheel arch.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
Useful response. The main problem is that people dont use the 'Search' tab enough.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts