Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who have been on this forum as long as me will remember the rust formation around the chrome plate/light on the rear tail gate.

And like me, many of you got it fixed under warranty.

Well a year later, the rust is re-appearing on mine... Anyone else seeing this problem come back ?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Not yet, but never say never. The corrosion warranty is 6 years though....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same with me it has returned, unfortunately the car was reversed into my pushbike in the garage denting the tailgate so I feel unable to take it back to Chevrolet despite being certain the original rust was not cured before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently bought a used Captiva and despite being warned to check for this I forgot. I recently cleaned the car and noticed the paint is starting to bubble on the left hand corner of the chrome tail gate housing just as you say.

I've checked my manual and there's two categories for paint as I can see.

Anti-perforation warranty (6 years)
This is for holes in the body panels caused by rust, it says it does not cover surface rust.

Paintwork warranty (3 years)
Basically any paintwork problem on the body panels that occur through normal use and are caused by faulty material or workmanship.

As my car is outside of its manufacturers warranty and the rust has not caused a hole I'm guessing me, like others would not be covered?

Mac

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would still pursue it macblack, as it was/is a known fault.

I dont think mine was repaired to the "repair" specification.

Dealer I went too, didnt have a body shop and took it to another garage, which they say is an authorised body shop. Not sure if that is true. I suspect they simply striped it down, prepared the area, sprayed it and refitted the exisiting parts, without apply the modification that is supposed to resolve this problem.

I remember last year when we all discussed this, that someone listed the Chevrolet FIX for this, but cant find it....

Does anyone have that Chevrolet Approved Fix for this problem, so I can challenge the dealership.

·
Registered
997 Posts
KL, it was a modified boot handle in addition to the repair to the rusty areas. I have heard though, from the dealership that I use that a re-occurance even with the modified part is not unknown.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doh!!!
Ok, went to the dealers, they took photos and contacted Chevy.

Came back to me today, and said as its now out of Warranty, I have to pay for the repair...

Anti Corrosion Warranty seems useless. Been researching, and all manufactures offer this, but it is no more than a marketing gimick, as not to offer it loses them sales, and they know they will never have to pay out on it. As earlier said by macblack, it ONLY coveres perforation, ie the rust has to go right through making a hole, which is extremly rare within 6 years.

So I'm now back to chasing the fact that the work was not repaired to a high enough standard as it only lasted a year.

Oh joy.... what a con...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Was the original repair under warranty not warranted then? Even the insurance companies do better than that, and they're shysters!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the problem.

It was done by Chevrolet dealer undr warranty, but won't cover a bad repair as it is now oiutside warranty.

Its not over yet, but IT now have a battle on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh bum! Just discovered surface rust around the chrome tailight housing on my 57 Captiva. I thought it was still covered by the corrosion warranty. Local Chevvy dealer has taken pix and emailed Chevrolet but not heard anything yet. From what you guys say it looks as if Chevrolet will say that as there is no actual perforation then the warranty won't cover it???? On the basis that retaliation is the best line of attack what's my response if Chevrolet come back and say "we're not paying" as seems likely??

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I hope you get better luck than me. Ive been told it was fixed once thats that. My argument is rhe repair didnr last a year before the rust reapeared. I accept my car is out of warranty, but my argument is the repair should last longer than a year, and if not then it was not done properly. Chevrolet wont discuss with me they say it is out of warranty and the dealership say they cant do anything.

Really annoyed. Considering taking it further, but life is too short.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi tom here got the same problem the chrome trim is made of plastic, it has a few contact points so when the handle is used it flexs, and through time rubs the paint down and the rust starts again, suggest a spot of clear silicon on these points before reassembly, hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cheers for the tip, Tom

K.L.Richards said:
I accept my car is out of warranty, but my argument is the repair should last longer than a year, and if not then it was not done properly.
Exactly. The original warranty is irrelevant. The repair should have been guaranteed against faulty materials/workmanship, no?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed. Problem is we are going through a difficult time with a family member being terminally ill at the moment, and to be quite honest, my mind has not been on fighting it. So the lucky b'tards are going to get away with it. I dont usualy give up this easy, and suggest you guys dont. This is where big companies win, they know they can wait and delay until we the consumers give up.

My advice to others is fight them and make yourself a nuisance. I would usually.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to hear of your circumstances - that sort of thing does put stuff into perspective, doesn't it.

All the best.

·
Registered
46 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
Those who have been on this forum as long as me will remember the rust formation around the chrome plate/light on the rear tail gate.

And like me, many of you got it fixed under warranty.

Well a year later, the rust is re-appearing on mine... Anyone else seeing this problem come back ?

Hi how long did it take them to fix it , as we have rust in two places on the tail gate warranty manager took pictures and said he would get back to us ours is a April 2012 plate not that old

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is there anything us new owners can do to pre-empt this problem?

I know we shouldnt have to but I would rather take some action now than have worries 5 yrs down the line.

Tim

1 - 20 of 27 Posts