Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I picked my 2007 LT up today, only slight dissapointment was the lack of Cruise control, I presume the later LT models had this as standard ?, when playing around with the rear seats at home I also had a problem opening the boot, it took a few presses of the remote and coaxing, before it opened up, only happened the once, and I think I had locked the car whilst the boot was not 100% closed.

Anyway whilst I was at the rear I noticed a small rust spot on either side of the long chrome effect boot release (above the number plate) with slight bubbling under the paint, I can only presume this is due to a metal fitting rusting.

Has anyone had this problem, and will it still be covered under the warranty ?

Cheers

·
Registered
997 Posts
The warranty is 3 years, so if it's a late 2007 you might be okay. Could it be the boot door might have had a bit of a ding and it hasn't been properly repaired? Cruise only became standard on the LT from the 2010 model year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, the car was registered in Jan 2008, so I should be under 3 years, no sign of a ding, it is right at the bottom corner at each end of the boot release overhang, I can't recall the term for this, but I am sure I have seen it on lars where two types of metal react to each other and oxodise, causing rust and bubbling, as it's in the exact same place on both sides, it does look like there is a reaction of some sort, I will call the dealer in the morning ask bust his chops about it anyway.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It's galvanic corrosion. Best of luck with the dealer- let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had exactly the same thing either side of the chrome looking boot trim, just above the number plate. I have a 2008 LTX in Silver and had the entire boot lid repaired and resprayed by a dealer.

They said it was a design fault and water gathered at each corner of that trim which had eventually caused it to rust.

I think the body warranty is 3 years so you may or may not have a chance.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply, yep, that sounds like the exact same problem, as my car is a Jan 2008 Reg I am still under 3 years, soI should be covered, I will get on to them today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: just back from the dealers, where I was sent to the bodyshop so they could inspect the boot, the girl at reception told me this was a "Very common problem" with Captivas, and Chevy new about it, and they have changed the chrome fitment on the boot to avoid a repeat of this, so it may be worth making a "sticky post" at the top of the forum advising Captiva owners to check this area very closely, and if there is any sign of early corrosion, get down to the Chevy dealer and get it sorted, as it's awell documented issue, it may be worth pursuing even if the 3 yr warranty has elapsed.

Anyway in my case they took photos and will send the claim off to Chevy, I expect to hear back within a few weeks to have the boot repainted and the updated chrome trim fitted under warranty.

Cheers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sconie - that's exactly the way mine was dealt with. Took photos to be sent off to Chevy and the dealer rang me about 8 weeks later to book the vehicle in.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Good work, I'm off to have a look at mine now....

·
Registered
997 Posts
bigiainw said:
Good work, I'm off to have a look at mine now....
The tell tale bubbles are there- small at the moment but I guess a visit to my local dealer is in the offing....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good idea, don't let them fob you off either, I overheard the girl at the bodyshop informing her new trainee how widespread this problem is, before I quizzed her about it, if the new handle cures this it will also help ensure a better resale value down the line.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've never been fobbed off up until now, and have no intention of starting now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
so in conclusion...

the new models should all beproblem free..

as i have a 2010 plate, and all seems ok at the moment!!

or do i need to keep my eye on it over the next couple of years!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would watch it, just to be sure, as date of reg might not guarrantee a modification...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Any update on this guys....

Just notices rust spots on my 2008 Captiva in the exact same place.

Going to take to dealer next week, was wondering whether you have had things resolved, and if so, did Chevy quote a TBS (Think that's what the motor industry calll it - a number that identifies it as a manufacturerknown issue), so that I can quote if the dealer puts up a fight....

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Had the same thing on my first 09 reg Captiva. Told the dealer and he said he would sort it no problem but I didn't keep it long enough. There is no sign of rust at the moment on my 59 reg but I think if there was it would get dealt with by the dealer. For some reason they seem very helpful now.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Brian, have seen some of the saga you have posted...

I bet if you had a problem the dealer would sought it... I bet they cry if they see you come round the corner

Hope all is well with your Captiva now, and that you are happy with it. You did have some real bad luck, but at least if the dealer accepts it and does something to put it right, you really cant grumble. It is when they wont listen or wont respond gets me wound-up. Like the issue I'm having with Wickes at the moment. Paid £20k for a new kitchen, and I have been 7 weeks now, without the Microwave I ordered (just a gap in the unit where it should be), a faulty Gas Hob and a warped cupboard door. And when I call the Customer Support (wel that's what they call themselves) they tell me I have to contact Zanussi. I wish they would learn about the Consumer rights, I have a contract with Wickes as they sold me the kitchen, not Zanussi, who is their supplier, and everytime I call I have to go over the problems again.... They are a complete JOKE. Dont get me wrong, the store staff and fitters where top notch, it is Wickes Customer Service that is pathetic....

.... RANT over, sorry.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No problem rant away. It's so frustrating when things dont go to plan. It helps as well when you can find the right people to speak to. I was fortunate enough to contact a young lady in Chevrolet's Customer Care at Luton. Once I spoke to her everything started to happen. Within 15 minutes of speaking to her the dealer was phoning me and offering to replace all that I found wrong or replace the car which is what we did. I don't think I would have had the same response if I had just tried to battle it out with the dealer. As it was sold under a Network Q/Chevrolet warranty I thought that I would get them involved, and it worked. Maybe a word in Zanussi's ear about the poor service you have had at Wickes will do the trick. I hope you get a result like I did and end up with everything ok.
Brian

·
Registered
652 Posts
pom... They're even worse...
... But had snow, so could test out the Captiva, so happy now ... for a while

Brian, glad you are happy with the Captiva... See like me, you managed to try it out in the snow
(Rant was wrong on this site, just fed up with the problems, and ranting at anyone who listens....I'll calm down now.)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts