·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

New member.

Picked up a new captiva LTZ on Saturday

Couple of problems

1) Almost all destinations on the sat nav dont work. It just says unable to calculate a suitable route to destination. this happs to 80% of destinations. I took it in and after waiting 3 hours they told me they had emailed Chevrolet who knew there was a problem and they were looking into a software update. Anyone else had or heard of this problem!? Its extremely annoying to have a brand new car and a completely unusable satanv which was a £1500 option!

2) The salesman told me there is a built in harddrive to store music on. Is this the case? I cant find it as an option

Thanks in advance

Andy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

I have a new LTZ and there is no hard drive, however it will take a standard SD memory card for music or video and it will also play from the memory stick. I did have to have the software upgraded just after picking the car up as the Sat Nav was rubbish. After the update the Temp settings changed on the ATC instead of going up and down in whole numbers they now go down in point five i.e. 18.5. I hope this helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. When you say it was rubbish - did you have the same problem? It always says " unable to calculate a suitable route to the destination"

My ATC goes up and down in 0.5 increments already

Has anyone got the music system to work with their ipod? When i plugged mine in it could access the notes/calender folders (which appear empty) but not the music.

Andy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes I did have the same problem, the system would just sit saying calculating and then it would crash the system and do a reset back to the Chevy screen.
My dealer told me the Ipod needs to be plugged into the AUX socket, not the USB??

John

·
Registered
44 Posts
well sounds like the dealers come out with all sorts of hogwash the system has two ways of updating Ive had to have both done on my ltz
the firmware is produced with 2008 version and is very buggy
the uddate it to may 2010 and it fixes most things
you then need to find a dealer who knows what they are on about to update your maps or provide you with the update they will charge you about £140 as they say that the update is not there issue
it updates it by two years to its a must
I have the software if anyone is interested
the car is a great allrounder and does what it says on the tin the dealers are the pain in the backside

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had my LTZ from new since nov 10 and never had any issues with SatNav. Always finds places and never crashed back to the chevy screen.
My ATC goes up and down in 0.5 increments (external temp is in increments of 1 though), if thats any use....?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your responses.

I need some help with how to deal with this as I am hitting a brick wall

So my ATC goes up in 0.5 degrees increments. And it never crashes. When i enter a destination i get a message saying unable to compute a suitable route to the destination and i have to press ok which cancels the navigation and goes back to the map. It will navigate perfectly well to around 15% of destinations.

The day i collected the car i noted this problem to the salesman who said it would be simple to sort and to take to the service center.

The "technician" I left it with had no idea what he was doing. they kept me waiting 2 hours then said they would email chevrolet and get back to me.

They have said that chevrolet have emailed them back and said they are aware of the problem and are working on a software fix. They have given no indication how long this will take and i think they have little incentive to do it quickly.

I am annoyed because this implies that chevrolet having knowingly sold me a faulty product.

I also get the feeling that there is already a software version out there that works based on the responses here. HOW DO I GET IT!!!? is there a version number or something?

How do people advise me to proceed? I would like to ask for a refund for the satnav given the fact that i was sold a device "with a hard drive that i can rip cds to directly"(which doesnt exist)and the sat nav is completely useless but i realise this is highly unlikely to come off.

Otherwise i love the car but this is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth!

Andy

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same issue with mine, then Irealised because I was sat on my drive it couldn't find my location as I wasn't on the road, probably not the same issue as your having but when your on the map does it show the arrow on a road, also if you type a postcode in leave a space in the post code ie. WN7 4HJ

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bought my car pre-registered from Arnold Clark Linwood, reasonable trade in for my old car. However the car came with only one key, I am supposed to drive a round trip of 100 miles to get a new one programmed, however my concern is that a thief is out there with a key for my LTZ. The service manual is not for my car either. I have had a heated exchange with a service receptionist, suffice to say that once the key is programmed I will not be going back to them.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Don't know where you are, but if close enough, I would try Peter Vardy in Motherwell- had my captiva in there today for it's 3rd serviceand the service, although a wee bit slow, was good. I too only had one key but got my Cap at a good price. A new key is £200 but I managed to get a second hand key on ebay for £13, a new blade on order from Chevy- about £25inc and then 1/2hr labour to get it coded to the car- much cheaper!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sat nav has a full satellite signal but will never navigate to my house - nor heathrow terminal 2 for instance even though it is in there as a POI

In fact when i am on my road it wont navigate to any destination at all. (despite good signal)

strange.

Does anyone else have this problem? Other people have been reporting crashes on here but it doesnt do that.

Andy

·
Registered
153 Posts
My sat nav works perfectly, however I have found out that it still gives directions even when I have the trip computer screen on. At first I thought that the front speakers were going on and off. I then remembered that I had turned the sat nav volume down and it was still trying to give me directions. Silly me!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bigiainw, I live in Alloa, therefore Peters is slightly closer, however Steve Curtess in Dalgety Bay is closer. Service manager at Arnold Clark in Linwood tried to tell me that I had to go back there for servicing as Chevrolet were choosy on whereit could be done. He told me that the price of year one would be £280. I told him that by using the EU directive on servicing I could use any VAT registered garage providing I used official Chevrolet parts. This did not go down well. I have spoken to Steve Curtess their price was £165. Obviously I will check again when the service is due.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know what Map Version is the latest one?
Mine is V2.0 and practically useless. The road data is so out of date I may as well navigate with maps from the doomsday book.

I took it today to the dealer who supposedly did an update but it's no differerent and still says map data 2.0.

·
Registered
476 Posts
There may be you're old key out there and it will gain entry to the car but it will not be able to start the engine. When they re-program a key all relevant key's have to be present and are all given a new code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all
Ive just got a 58 plate Captiva with a VDO MS5200 sat nav. Unfortunatly the previous owner has taken the SD card with the maps on it so the sat nav is useless. The car sales are meant to be getting me the maps but are messing me about something rottern so Ive just about given up on them. Is there anywhere that I can bet these SD cards from without paying a fortune for?

One of the reasons I got this car is because of the sat nav. That and the fact that the CD is a six disc player, however, the display on this doesnt work now and the disc changer has stopped so I need a replacement for this too.

I look forward to hearing from you all

Many Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Im looking for an SDs card with maps on for my sat nav as there is no card with the system and hence no sat nav. I see that you have had some and wondered if you either had some more or still had them.
Hope Im not a pain.

E mail me if you can help please

[email protected]

Many Thanks

Phil

1 - 20 of 64 Posts